Question RE: Suunto Dive Manager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does Suunto use the same dive manager for all their models of dive computer? I have had my Stinger for a few years and it's time to buy the interface for my PC. I've seen them on ebay but I'm not exactly sure if it's the right one or not.

There is a compatibility chart on Suunto's website. The available Dive Manager versions (1.6 and 2.2.X) in Suunto's site support the Stinger http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/a...T<>prd_id=845524442490166&bmUID=1138643390854

What you've seen in ebay is probably either RS232 or USB interface. If you don't have an RS232 port (or it is occupied by something else) you can allways use a converter cable USB-RS232. Perhaps you can attach a link to the interface you're interested in?

The software is the same for all of them (well, you have to use 2.x software for the D9/D3/D6, and any version for the others).

But I suspect you were asking about the cables. The Mosquito and Stinger use one style of connector, the Vyper/Cobra/Vytec another, and the D9 is different still. Third party cables generally work, though some are easier to use than others depending on how well the cable snaps into the dive computer. And you need to figure out if you need serial or USB for your PC. Keep in mind you can always use a USB-serial adapter with a serial cable if those are significantly cheaper or easier to find than USB cables.

-Mark

My Mosquito uses the same cable as my Cobra. Older model maybe?

Our Stingers use a much different interface than the Vyper/Cobra. The interface we have has three pins on one side which "attach" to the right side of the computer. The cable is a serial cable, which means we had to buy a USB - Serial converter.

maractwin:
The Mosquito and Stinger use one style of connector,

I didn't think that the Mosquito and Stinger cables are the same.

I have a Suunto Cobra and both versions of the Suunto DM software loaded on my computer. I download all my dives, and it's fun to play around with the graphs and logs. I like diving with the Cobra a lot, and think it's an excellent dive computer.

However, at the end of the day, I think it's worth pointing out that both versions of the Suunto DM software are incredibly feeble, especially considering what the interface costs. They're both filled with bugs and features that don't work properly. Suunto admits to some of these on their own website.

I routinely download freeware programs for other computer applications that are ten times better implemented that Suunto's software. If it was for anything else other than diving, I would have packed the Suunto PC interface/software back up and returned it a long time ago.

My point is, if your LDS hasn't already talked you into buying the interface, think twice. It's a cute toy, but it's limitations and bugs can be frustrating. I'd like to see Suunto get it in gear and develop something that's on a par with most other commercially available software (heck, these guys make Microsoft look good!). It would take very little effort for them to bring the software up to speed, yet they haven't even done that, despite their own awareness of the programs' bugs. Can't they find some 14 year old Finnish computer nerd and have him work on it during one of their six month long nights?

Unfortunately, the only advice I can give anyone who is waiting for these improvements to happen is the same advice given to all scuba divers - "don't hold your breath."

Back
Top Bottom