Nikon 5900 w/Fantasea Housing -Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kleppta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just picked up a Fantasea Housing from my Coolpix 5900.

I am wondering if anyone has any experiance shooting with this set-up.

For now I do not have a strobe. I may get one but just what to try the camera and housing by itself for now.

My question relates to settings. This camera has a underwater setting. Should I use that? From what I have seen you cannot use the manual white balance with this housing. You could set the white ballance at the surface but that would be pretty useless woudn't it? I ask this because on fantaseas website they sort of elude to this in one of their FAQ's but it was not specific to this camera and Housing.

I think I can access the EV comp mode underwater. Any coments on using this? I do not believe it is flash compesation just exposure. Has anyone found good success is adding 1/3 or whatever?

Just trying to cheat a bit so I don't have to do all the experimentation myself. :wink:

Kleppta

You can try the underwater setting. It may help with white balance. Also it will probably work better if you set the camera to macro mode.

I have the 7900 with the CP-7 Fantasea Housing. So far I'm pretty satisfied with it. Enough so that I just ordered their tray/arms/LED light/flash setup to go with it. I've been using it for about 4 months now. Florida and The Bahamas. I've posted some pitures I took with it in my photo gallery here on Scubaboard and also on my own homepage So far I've been using the Underwater setting and getting fairly good results. When I get my strobe I'm going to start playing with that. Just like any camera using the built in flash, sometimes your going to get backscatter. That's why I'm getting the external flash. The only problem I've had with the housing was that the clamp broke on it. THey were very good about sending me a new one. I did order a spare along with my tray/flash setup. That way I'm good if it breaks again on a trip. wish they had made it out of metal, but with a spare I'm happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom