Ikelite D200 housing.. taking orders...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well even if one can't get the camera, one CAN also order the housing (which is ALSO NOT AVAILABLE). So basically now is the time to pay $1700 for a camera that is not available, and at the same time one can spend an aditional $1273 for a housing that does not exist!!

Good News For all!!

Actually it is as at LEAST housing manufactures recognize that the D200 is likely going to be the hottest selling DSLR this year for good reason.

I'm looking for a 2nd body and housing to my D70, so that will likely be it. No rush, though, once they get caught up with the backlog I'll pick one up.

Warren_L:
I'm looking for a 2nd body and housing to my D70, so that will likely be it. No rush, though, once they get caught up with the backlog I'll pick one up.

IMO get another D70. Unless you have a need to carry around two housings OR you feel that your D70 is just not cutting it in the resolution department. Sure it's great to be able to enlarge to 16x20 or even 20x30, and the larger sensor gives one better cropping options. However the D70 housing is NOT going to work with the D200 and versa visa, so what you have is duplicate everything.

Ironic that so many people seek max resolution, but rarely print bigger than 8x10. I found this a LOT in the Medium Format world.

Not that I'm suggesting against the D200. It's my next body (don't tell the wife), and is an awesome performer. One area it would excell over the D70 UW (other than resolution) looks to be at higher ISO's.

I realize that the D70 housing will not work with the D200. I want a second camera body and as well as a second housing. I can use the same lenses and strobe system.

Hi -
Total newbie to this board/discussion, but I got on it because I'm agonizing over switching from my Nikonos V to a housing for digital -I have a 2 yo D-100 I was prepared to take underwater occasionally because I just got the D-200 (more $ than brains, I guess), but the Ikelite guy I just got off the phone with made some points about the D-200 housing being better than the D-100 (D-100 - no TTL, for example) - all of it is obscenely expensive, but for somebody who goes on 1 dive trip per year - 4-5 dives/trip, and is tired of the 36 exposure limit per roll, and the high maint. of the Nikonos system - do you think the housing for the D-200 (with an insurance policy) makes the most sense? I have a number of Nikon lenses, but the 17-35 zoom sounds like the most useful for U/W. I'd be grateful for any input -
Thanks much - Mike

doctorwalker:
Hi -
...I'm agonizing over switching from my Nikonos V to a housing for digital .... Ikelite .. made some points about the D-200 housing being better than the D-100 (D-100 - no TTL, for example) .... do you think the housing for the D-200 (with an insurance policy) makes the most sense? I have a number of Nikon lenses, but the 17-35 zoom sounds like the most useful for U/W. I'd be grateful for any input -
Thanks much - Mike

Yes, go with the D-200 housing, bacause the cost of the housing and strobes is the same and it is pointless to invest in a D100 system that is already obsolete. As for lenses, your choice should be based on what you like to shoot: macro, wrecks, or whatever. For macro, most use the 60mm or 105mm, and for wide most choose the 12-24 zoom or 10.5 fisheye. There are ports for all of these from Ikelite. With the D200, you can use most Nikon AF lenses and AI MF lenses, so if you have some favorites they can be used. Not all have ports available, but the popular ones do.

In another forum, lens choices are discussed here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10569

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11336

The D200 is definitely going to be THE camera for a while. Im out right not shooting it in Hawaii (topside) and getting to know it. Housings will beging shipping in the next month or two from both Aquatica and Ikelite. I know Subal has one coming out and Sea & Sea will be releasing one but that will be some time from now.

The lenses for this camera (underwater use that is):

105mm macro
60mm macro

10.5mm or 12-24mm for wide angle...12-24 would be my first choice.

Good luck

Just to stir the pot a little, Aquatica will be shipping in March and will be equipped with the ittl conversion circuitry.

Yeah we are expecting our first shipment of Aquatica housings the last week of March. The standard pant will be silver but we ordred the first few in black

H2OPhotoPro:
Yeah we are expecting our first shipment of Aquatica housings the last week of March. The standard pant will be silver but we ordred the first few in black

Curious what the Aquatica housing is going to cost. I really like their housings, but last I looked they were about $1000 more than the Ikelite with is going for around $1300.

It's hard for me to spend more on a housing then the camera costs...I understand suppy and demand in this case little demand, but it still stings to consider spending $2000+ on a housing for a $1700 body... :14:

Back
Top Bottom