Veo 200 comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
LDS has a pretty good clearance price on a new Oceanic Veo 200 computer. This is the same model that they rent, so I'm reasonably familiar with it.

I've see a few posts that this is a good, solid unit for a new diver (which I am), but I'm wondering what features I might miss as I get more experience.

Thanks,

Scott

I just bought 4 VEO 250s and they seem incredibly simple and easy to use. Be sure to consider the NitrOx version over the only air.

I have a 200 , so far so good . 85 dives on it, one battery change. Does air, nitrox has some other usefull features , and can be put into gauge mode if needed. Only downfall is the software for the downloaded sucks.

Hi,

Generally a good computer, as noted has air, nitrox, and gauge modes, so it should do for most divers for quite a while. it also has a reasonable number of user settable alarms. You can get a wrist boot or mount in console.

Three specific comments:
1. The NDL algorithm is less conservative than some other computers. I also have a Suunto Mosquito, and that consistently shows less NDL than the Veo. This is documented in a Scuba Diving lab test comparison, available online. Not critical, but you should be aware and manage your NDL with this in mind.

2. There is new software out. I haven't but just downloaded it and glanced at it, but one hopes it is better than the original! Even so, the earlier release does limp along and work.

3. Both my wife's and my Veos fooded after battery service (they were promptly replaced). They were pressure leak tested in the shop after servicing, and we also did a pool dive with them, and still failed on a dive trip. It was the first dive after a flight, so I can only surmise that the airplane depressurization broke the seal. I have been told resealing these models after service is touchy. New Veos have been fine so far. (BTW, our dive went fine since we had backup depth and bottom timer, so just dived the table plan we also looked up ... good advice in general! We subsequently rented then bought the Suuntos, and dive the two as redundant systems now.)

Hope that helps,

Walter

wcl:
Hi,

There is new software out. I haven't but just downloaded it and glanced at it, but one hopes it is better than the original! Even so, the earlier release does limp along and work.

Walter,

May I ask where you found the new software? Is there a charge for it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom