Negative without any weight belt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cybordolphin

Reaction score
I am negative with a 7mm semidry, HP120, SS BP, SS STA.

Figured I would need around 4-6lbs. on a weight belt..... but turns out I sink without any weight.

Hmmmmmmm.... Should I worry about it..... or not.... as long as I can swim it up?

You may indeed have a problem once your semi-dry compresses at depth. Recommend a simple test - from 100' or so, dump your BC entirely (simulated BC failure) and swim it up. Then you'll know whether to rush out and buy that fancy new drysuit!
Do carry a lift bag as a back-up to you BC as a routine matter.
Rick

That is with approx. 1800lbs. in the steel HP120 tank.

Wondering what I should alter first. My BP, remove STA and go cam strap only, use an AL tank, or?

Lol.. and I already ran out and bought that drysuit......

I have the same problem. I ran a bouyancy check on my last dive. At 15' in freshwater with no wetsuit, no weights and 500 psi left in an aluminum tank I had no problem holding a horizontal safety stop for 3 minutes. After I surfaced, I decided to see just how bouyant I was. With 420 psi remaining in tank, I let all air out of wings and I drifted down to 20' with no effort. Even when diving a 3 mil wetsuit I rarely need more than about 4lbs even in salt water.

Wonder if I should try using a lighter BP (mine is currently 9 lbs.) or make a change to my rig so that I need/can use some ditchable weight?

What would you switch out first? I was thinking of trying out an AL tank also... but really like my new steel.

Why not switch to an aluminum BP instead of the SS. That's a few pounds less to start with. I'm diving with an aluminum BP, double AL 90's and a 5 mil semi-dry, of course this is in South Florida waters, and don't have a lot of extra weight near the end of the dive. I'm a little heavy at the begining, but that I can live with.

Scott

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom