Aries Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shuurltt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I only have about 50 dives under me. I have an aries computer that was given to me as a gift. I will be the first to say that I am stupid when it comes to dive computers and their manuals. I can't tell you how many times I have read the book. My question is does anyone know if there are different settings on this computer for reg air and nitrox. The reason I ask is that my last diving vacation (included about 5 dives) I sucked air, felt like I couldn't get enough. All of my previous dives I had about 800 psi left. I ended up buddy breathing with DM so the dives wouldn't be short ones. Is it just one of those things that one trip you don't have any problems and others it like I mentioned above?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Susie

Which particular Aeris dc? Atmos 2 can be used for air or nitrox.
And buddy breathing to extend a dive will get you into a heated debate here on SB.

Yes it is the Atmos 2. The DM told me to buddy breath and we did for a little while and then finished dive without buddy breathing. It it was set for Nitrox would that have made any difference in the amount I was using?

I'm not sure what the breathing issue you state and whether your computer has settings for air/nitrox have to do with each other. The air/nitrox setting will adjust you NDL, depth limits, etc on the mix you are using. It has nothing to do with how fast you suck down a tank. Were you using your own regs or rentals? If you had the feeling of not getting enough air, sounds like a regulator problem, or maybe you just started with less air in the tank than normal, but not a computer setting issue.

Am I missing something here?

The setting does not affect how much air you use, it only calculates how much theoretical nitrogen you have based on depth and length of dives and off gasing at surface intervals. If you are diving air, I would strongly recommend you change the setting to air, diving air with a nitrox setting will give you false dive information.

If you have a problem with the Aeris, discuss it with Doug Krause here on the board. He works for Oceanic/Aeris and is as good as they get with problems. I agree though that the computer settings should not have anything to do with your air consumption rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom