This will open the door to a lot of dive opportunities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Some time ago they announced that there is a plan to start a ferry system that is to run between Kauai, Hawaii, Oahu and Maui.

I thought it was supposed to start this year so I ran a search and found this website...pretty promising looking.

Imagine...no more dive and fly worries....Half the price of flying, take all your stuff with you.

Can't wait for 2007!!

Oh boy, yet another Hawaiian ferry operation. They don't do too well in Hawaii, but they sure provide a great market for used ferry craft. If you ever take a hydrofoil between Hong Kong island and Macau, those used to run interisland.
Even running the hotel employee ferry between Molokai and Maui had lots of problems, and that was a milk run.
These new ferries are built by Austal which makes some righteous fast cats. Hope it all works out, although Hong Kong needs a lot more ferries with Disney World and the new airport. The CEO John Lehman was a former Secretary of the Navy, and it sure looks like he tapped into a huge reservoir of investment capital.

yeah...I heard about the failed attempts, but this is "supposed to be" a state of the art ferry.

What was the reason for the failed attempts? I'm guessing political because of the airlines not wanting competition... Now if you could just jump of at your favorite site... :) that would be a heck of a GIANT stride hehehe

I am sure that it is part of it...and I know that they tried to squash this too. But I think it also had to do with the type of ferry that it was last time...and with the sea conditions...I'd have to look it up to say for sure.

A couple of years ago a ferry that was made by the company that is making these docked here for a couple of days and you could view it. The ones we're getting are supposed to be bigger...and that was a big one....supposed to with stand the conditions better.

"We" tried a hydrofoil out to Catalina back in the 60's. Not sure where it ended up (fortunately not at the bottom of the 3,500' San Pedro Channel).

Hmm. I looked at the fares. What I wonder is if each passenger in a car has to pay the full rate? If not, great. If so, you could work around it by having your buddies walk on and the car carry the dive gear. It would be cheaper that way.

In PNW, there is a "car" charge and a lesser passenger charge.

Back
Top Bottom