Lobster Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
Any good advise on lobster hunting? I am going on a trip real soon that will be in the Bahamas. Any tips? I plan to use the tickle stick and net catch, but this is my first attempt. I have been around many others doing the catching and grew up with those bugs as part of my diet. Looking forward to some fun and good dinners.

I suppose its really where your mind takes you, when you can continue to focus on a delicious lobster salad, everything is okay and you think how lucky you are and how exciting it is to catch one.
I looked at the lobster and thought it was smiling; a brave little creature of another species was being carried off to its death. My mind conjured images of innocent prisoners being lead to their death.

When we were in Grand Bahama last year,
We got to know some of the boaters at our resort. They would catch a lobster for dinner once or twice a week.
We got to talking about it. They said you can't legaly take Lobster on Scuba, freediving only.
You might want to check the local laws where you'll be diving.

I saw two huge lobsters during our two week stay. both were hiding under coralheads.

Good Luck, have fun!!:)

I did a trip to the Bahama's last year and when they did all there warnings about what was legal and all one thing was that you could not bring up lobsters while diving (they would fine you and the boat).... we were told you had to free-dive to get the lobsters. Just info for you, I would hate to hear someone got fined or lost gear or something for not going by the laws.

Rich :mean:

What about snorkel, isnt that the same as free diving? I know we will be in areas where we can snorkel. I do remember that their laws do not allow on scuba. When we were anchored off before I thought that someone caught lobster while snorkeling. Maybe I am wrong. At any rate no problem I am not into breaking laws in this or any other country. I like taking pictures and can stick to that.

snorkling for them is ok. But you have to be very sure nothing is don't with the scuba gear from what I have been told.

Rich :mean:

In the BVI's, it is illegal to take lobsters on scuba. We, however, were not about to let that stop us. We, the other DMs, Instructors, and I, decided that the best way to obtain these lobsters was to collect them on scuba and tie the bag to the mooring line. After a surface interval, we planned to freedive to collect the lobsters. Everything was going to plan, until the program director decided he didn't want us poaching. Go figure.

brandon

voidware:
In the BVI's, it is illegal to take lobsters on scuba. We, however, were not about to let that stop us. We, the other DMs, Instructors, and I, decided that the best way to obtain these lobsters was to collect them on scuba and tie the bag to the mooring line. After a surface interval, we planned to freedive to collect the lobsters. Everything was going to plan, until the program director decided he didn't want us poaching. Go figure.

brandon

In South African waters it is also illegal to remove lobster , abelone or even spearfish with scuba equipment.There are also size and quantity limits on everything and not to mention a permit for each species as well.
If caught , everything is converscated , boat , diving equipment , and in fact , if you are on your way home and towing the boat , your car goes as well. Thats before you even get to court for the fine or prison sentence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom