LDS takes too big of a bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK I am all for free enterprise and agree that our lds's deserve a higher profit margin than internet shops.....but I got charged today $70.00 for a mask that I saw online for $36.95. I mean I would expect maybe 50% higher than internet and would not have griped but 100%????? Thankfully it was not my LDS, just one I strolled into. I would imagine that my shop would have given me my usual discount but this was one of those impulse purchases. What do you guy's think??:06:

You shoulda showed them the website and asked if they could match.

this was one of those impulse purchases. What do you guy's think??
Don't buy on impulse. :D

Now if you would have asked them to price match they might have gone halfway... maybe even more... but remember, they have overhead that online stores do not.

Of course, buying on impulse without price checking before hand yields this a non-solution.

(If it makes you feel any better I've done the same thing. :D)

I'd say find another shop that will discount their price or maybe even match the internet rate. Sounds like they are more sales than service oriented....not to complain but the shop I teach out of would never do that! There is another shop I won't mention that does it all the time.......up to you but I'd ask them to be fair!

It happens, though. I wonder, in passing, how many non-internet divers there are out there that just wander in and plunk down their plastic?

More than a few me thinks...

Actually, es601... masks are one thing I don't feel too bad about paying the LDS there dues (still might try to wrangle a discount though.)

Buying a mask online without trying it on your face is really not a great idea. Trying masks on in a store (that cost them money to stock) and then buying online would be unethical.

Hope that further helps to take some of the sting out. Nothing will ever ease the pain I still carry many many years later after paying $100 for a Mares ESA. It wasn't so much the $100 that hurt, either. What was I thinking!

oceanaddicted:
I'd say find another shop that will discount their price or maybe even match the internet rate. Sounds like they are more sales than service oriented....not to complain but the shop I teach out of would never do that! There is another shop I won't mention that does it all the time.......up to you but I'd ask them to be fair!
That seems to be a pretty strong and unfair accusation. The diver didn't ask for a discount, and the price he paid is about the going rate for MSRP on most quality masks. Being service oriented is great, but if you want service you are going to pay more. Now Online, thats something that is generally sales, not service oriented. I think you have it mixed up. It doesn't seem fair to expect a brick and mortar store to price everything at the prices that an internet source might sell it for. The cost structure is totally different.

Uncle Pug:
Actually, es601... masks are one thing I don't feel too bad about paying the LDS there dues (still might try to wrangle a discount though.)

Buying a mask online without trying it on your face is really not a great idea. Trying masks on in a store (that cost them money to stock) and then buying online would be unethical.

Hope that further helps to take some of the sting out. Nothing will ever ease the pain I still carry many many years later after paying $100 for a Mares ESA. It wasn't so much the $100 that hurt, either. What was I thinking!

It's not much of a balm unfortunately Uncle Pug when you consider that I too purchased a ESA,a X-vision, a Scuba max, two Genesis panoramics, and now a Scubapro Fino in my search to find the perfect mask and I haven't been certified a year yet and have less than 50 dives. Not to mention that I've tried my childrens masks and every generic mask lying around the house from snorkeling days!
When I whistled threw my teeth at the price the shop owner said this is a very high quality mask. Being that I knew that due to the location I wouldn't be coming back much I did not feel right trying to haggle a better price. Nor did I know what the real price should have been other than a gut feeling. As far as trying on a mask in the shop and then buying online, if I had made a large purchase at the time and did not take up sales peoples time trying on every mask in the store I could live with myself mainly because I've had shops mess up my prescription by writing the info wrong and also causing my ESA to leak by changing the lenses themselves. The said shop promptly replaced the mask with a new one by the way.
I have my own business as well and try to give every advantage to my loyal customers but there have been times when new walk ins have realized a value and then came back and became some of my best customers. Ther have also been times when I did not give a job lead my full attention due to work load or such and the previouisly unknown customers turned out to be industry giants that are now giving their work to someone else! Also the regular customers that come in demanding rock bottom prices every time can be hard on the cash flow as well. Every once in a while we gotta hit a home run. I guess this time I got knocked into the bleachers!:D

Hopefully this mask meet your needs.

A couple of questions:

What is it that you didn't like about your other masks?

What is it that you are looking for in a mask?

Uncle Pug:
Hopefully this mask meet your needs.

A couple of questions:

What is it that you didn't like about your other masks?

What is it that you are looking for in a mask?

All I want is a mask that dosen't leak like a sieve.
I shave my face clean before and during a dive vacation so it's not my stache. I have a couple of genesis masks that are the dryest but can be uncomfortable around my eye sockets at times (even when I equalize them) the x vision I bought at an lds and tried it in their pool and it was great. I sent it out and had optics bonded in and took it to the keys in November and under real diving conditions it leaked to where I had to clear it 10 times per dive when the water level became unbearable. I've tried loosening the strap ,tightening strap,moving strap to top of head,smoothing out my smile lines on putting on mask, silicone grease on skirt or face. The same mask may seal good on one dive and not another. The ESA leaked a lot in Curacao and flooded on me a couple of times. The scuba max and scuba pro fino have yet to see a dive. I have snorkeled with them at the pool at the gym but it seems that actual diving conditions are different. I can get by without the prescription lenses but when I get one that seals I want to send it out to enhance my dives. I realize there is no mask that never gets any water in I have learned to tolerate a good amount of water in the mask. I went as far as putting black paint on my face (pretty funny actually) and touching my x-vision to it and then trimming skirt to exactly match my face with my reg in my mouth. It seems good in the pool but still have to try diving.I always try the masks with a reg in my mouth. I will post a picture of my face and and I am open to suggestions. I made a giant set of calipers and measured the width of my face and compared it to info found on a google search. My face measures 5-7/8" and according to mens health the average mans face is 6" (a couple other interesting facts there as well!) I am really becoming obsessed with this mask thing and might need professional help before it's over.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom