packing your bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mayastig

Contributor
Reaction score
i just got my bp/w so try to not mind my really weird questions, but i was wondering for those who have this kind of bc how do you pack it for travel? crates? just stuff it in the bag? dissasemble it and reassemble? just curious really...

Don't worry about the questions, better to ask and have an idea than not to ask and have no idea.

The way we tell folks to do it is to simply roll the wing around the backplate toward the front of the harness and hold it in place with 2 light bungies, 1 at each end of the backplate. We make the bungies out of 3/16's inch sail cord and a hogring for about 40-50 cents each from materials readily availble at most marine supply stores, however the goal is to keep the wing in place to prevent pinching it. Too strong of a bungy could be damage the wing on the wrap. If your traveling with a STA, it can be left in attached to the backplate.

By doing this you are able to leave certain items (lights, pockets, knife, etc) inplace on the harness, the plate and wings stay together, harness acts as a firm handle and is tucked away to prevent entangling with out items in a gear bag and prevents any assembly and dropped hardware on a crowed boat or rough seas.

Schott

hi schott thanks for the reply. so if my image is right, were basically tucking in the wing and putting it in place with the bungies, sort of like closing a box with the lids to short... wont the folds though on the wing damage it? or am i just being paranoid since my wing is bnew... a picture would help

mayastig:
hi schott thanks for the reply. so if my image is right, were basically tucking in the wing and putting it in place with the bungies, sort of like closing a box with the lids to short... wont the folds though on the wing damage it? or am i just being paranoid since my wing is bnew... a picture would help

imho the best way to avoid punctures is to store the backplate separate from the wing. to do this you must dissassemble your wing from the backplate by removing the wingnuts that attach the two together. after this is done, you can place the backplate at the bottom of your gear bag since it is the hardest piece of gear. you can now place the wing at the top of your gear or you can roll it into a nice compact shape and store appropriately. when its rolled their is less surface area exposed so less chances of puncture. hope this helps

I'm sure that no matter how neatly you pack it, the TSA baggage inspectors will re-pack it the way they best see fit.

i tried disassembling it once and the thing i liked about it is the fact that you can fold the wing to pack it in a small bag. thanks for the other ideas

No matter how I pack it, it still takes up less room than my stupid Jacket BC did.

mayastig:
i just got my bp/w so try to not mind my really weird questions, but i was wondering for those who have this kind of bc how do you pack it for travel? crates? just stuff it in the bag? dissasemble it and reassemble? just curious really...

I take the backplate with me on carry-on, that way I can show and explain it to at security check. The wing I pack separately among clothing and away from anything sharp. If you take it with you on carry-on, then you can be fairly certain that nothing bad will happen to it. I prefer it this way because if you put a huge metal plate in your checked-in luggage then chances are that the TSA will open your suitcase and I don't like that.

question though on folding the wing. will this cause some damage on the bladder since its being folded? i have never done this on the long term (e.g. taking your gear with you on a long trip).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom