LDS What ever happened to a fair price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveroflove

Reaction score
I’m just curious why so many people buy gear from an LDS when you can buy it for way cheaper at another dive shop near by or the internet, its not like you owe them anything, they are a business and if they have a poor price they should not expect you to buy from them. Now I know many of you will say that we need to support the Local dive shop and such, and they can help you with your purchase. But if you run a dive shop and charge the customer a 40 percent markup over that of online then there is a problem, and the situation doesn’t help itself when people pay it.

Here is an example, I went to the LDS where I was certified and was getting a quote on a wetsuit. The salesman at the LDS said "I’m going to give you a heck of a deal" the price he said was $585, I then said thanks and went to a Dive shop that was 30 minutes away and asked what he would sell the suit to me for and he said $355 dollars. This was the exact same model and size. I'm not sure if the salesman thought I was stupid or just going to buy from them because they are closest. I understand the reasons why we need to support our LDS but when you are going to run a business by grossly overcharging a customer I for one will not spend my hard earned money doing it.

For that big of a price difference, I wouldn't buy from the LDS either. I am all for supporting the business but $200 will buy you airfare to Cozumel.

No matter the price difference I support my LDS. I know weird considering my tipping habbits but... Support your close ones...

B

I still think even $355 is too expensive for a wetsuit personally. I bout my 3mm scubapro everflex full body suit for $200.

Can you buy Scubapro online? I would like to have a Scubapro suit.

I think it totally depends on the dive shop. Besides a great knowledge base, my LDS at school has fair prices along with sales all the time. Plus they give me a discount since I got certified through them and have bought anything I own (which isn't much) through them.

However, a LDS I went to at home completely fulfilled the bad reputation that LDS's can have. Just my 2 cents...

redhatmama:
Can you buy Scubapro online? I would like to have a Scubapro suit.

I bought my from my LDS. I got a discount because of the work that I do for them, but even then the MSRP on that particular suit is only like $225 - $250. Seems like I ran across a site not to long ago that sold scubapro wetsuits for around the MSRP. If I find it again I'll let you know.

If I wanted to spend 500+ on a suit I would go buy a dry suit.

EDIT: It was at Scubatoys. :)

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Wetsuits_Womens.asp?PAGE=2 (close to the bottom of the page)

Can you tell what kind of wet suit you bought? I am with those who think you are still paying a pretty high price.

I dont mind paying a little more thru my LDS if I can get it right then. but most of the time I shop around. I will always give my LDS a chance to match the price I could get else where.
I just brought a new suit which retailed at $895NZ. I managed to buy thru a aquaintance who has an account with the manufacture and I saved about 1/3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom