Which Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papasmurf89

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a little searching around on this board and I feel like I've go a pretty good idea of some good computers so I'm going to be buying my new computer this weekend. Anyways, Suunto's seem to be some of these best computers out there. My only problem is, I can't decide which model I want.

I've been looking at the Vyper, Mosquito, and the Gekko. I've heard great things about all of them and the only really bad thing that I've heard is about the Mosquito. I heard that sometimes it's hard to use the buttons when you have gloves on and the numbers are a little small. Anyways, which would you guys recommend? I'm a fairly casual diver so I don't need anything super complicated. I just want something that's reliable.

Thanks guys!

All are good computers. Where do you dive and what do you need? Are you going to be downloading and tracking your dives on a computer? Then that rules out the Gekko unless you use a MAC like I do and then you can't download most dive computer profiles anyway. I personnally prefer the larger screen and buttons on the Vyper and Gekko. A lot of divers prefer the smaller size of the mosquito and stinger. Are you going to be wearing thick gloves? Then you may want the bigger computers.If not then the smaller computers may be better. How much do you want to spend?

I got a Gekko because it is a good computer, does everything that I need and I couldn't use some of the functions of the Vyper that makes it more expensive.

I have both a Vyper (primary) and a Mosquito (backup).

I purchased the Mosquito first and tried it for 2 years. I was hooked on computers, that said I ended up by purchasing a Vyper
last year and switched it to being my primary.

If you are looking to get a computer that takes care of everything but the air in your tank then the Vyper is the way to go. I have found Suunto to be very conservation

Dave

Papasmurf89:
Hi,

I've done a little searching around on this board and I feel like I've go a pretty good idea of some good computers so I'm going to be buying my new computer this weekend. Anyways, Suunto's seem to be some of these best computers out there. My only problem is, I can't decide which model I want.

I've been looking at the Vyper, Mosquito, and the Gekko. I've heard great things about all of them and the only really bad thing that I've heard is about the Mosquito. I heard that sometimes it's hard to use the buttons when you have gloves on and the numbers are a little small. Anyways, which would you guys recommend? I'm a fairly casual diver so I don't need anything super complicated. I just want something that's reliable.

Thanks guys!

I recommended Sunto Vyper or D9

Depends on what you are looking for? Console, wrist, dive planning & simulation, PC interface, price range?

We considered everything you are looking at and ended up with the Suunto Stinger. More durable than the Mosquito. We had also considered the Vyper as a second choice.

They're all great computers. I have a Vyper and i love it. I'd say go with the Vyper or Gekko because of the larger size. The major difference between the Vyper and Gekko is the ability to download your dive data to your PC. Another difference that isn't insignificant IMO is the backlight of the computer. The Vyper has a backlight function that be turned off and on and set between 5-30 sec. The Gekko has a phosphorescent display that must be charged with a light. The Gekko doesn't light up as bright or stay "on" as long asthe Vyper. So, if you're going to be doing night dives or dives in low light environments the Vyper might be a better choice.

Okay, thanks guys. I live in Southern California so nearly all of my dives are beach dives with the occasional dive off of Catalina. I do wear gloves but I don't really know how thick they are compared to the other gloves on the market. Just because of this though I think that I'll steer clear of the Mosquito. I've also heard of some reliabilty issues with it.

Anyways, that leaves me with the Gekko and the Vyper. I really doubt I'd be downloading data on to my computer although I may be a couple years down the road. Besides, an extra $70 or so isn't to bad, plus I get a backlight. Still not sure though. So are the only differences between the two is the ability to load data onto a computer and a backlight?

Quick question guys, has anyone ever ordered from sportextreme.com? They seem to have some really competitive prices. They've got the Gekko for $228 and the Vyper for $300.

http://www.sportextreme.com/pz1000022x20352yUSD/

http://www.sportextreme.com/pz1000022x20230yUSD/

Thanks guys!

The Vyper also has a gage mode that the Gekko doesn't have. I have the Gekko and haven't had any problems on night or low visibility dives. I always carry a light any way so charging it has never been a problem.

$70 isn't so bad at all, especially if there is the potential of downloading to a computer in the future. Those prices are very good! Where is this Sportsextreme place? Their Vyper price is very close to what I paid for my Gekko and there was more like a $120 price difference between the Vyper and Gekko where I bought mine.

In my opinion if all you are doing is 1 and 2 tank dives a day every week or every so often, all you really need is a bottom timer and depth gauge (gauge mode will do this for you). If you really think you need a computer then get the Vyper. The gauge mode and download capability make it a better value than the Gekko and the Mosquito and you might want to do more aggressive diving in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom