1st time in Oahu - recommendations for inexpensive lodging???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW_DiverDude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings all,

It has been just over a year since I last posted images from a tropical dive trip and I finally have plans for my next warm water trip. Diving in the Pacific Northwest is fun mind you, I just enjoy warmer waters when I can get away from the daily grind of work...

Since I prefer spending more money on diving than lodging, I am looking for a few recommendations on inexpensive lodging in the Waikiki area. Walking distance to the docks is preferred and no roaches please!!! Other than that, kitchenette would great, continental breakfast would be nice too.

I will be in Oahu from February 28th thru March 8th. What is the liklihood of seeing any humpback whales during this time of year?

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions. When I return, I will upload a new series of images for your viewing pleasure.

NW_DiverDude

Lots of humpies. Discounts? Try the hostles or YMCA. Not much for camping or bargans in Waikiki other than that.

I had friends stay at the Marc Suites for $100/night with kitchenette

Check out the Ohana Hotel chain. I stayed in a 1960's style "suite" for less than $100. It was a one bedroom with semi-kitchen. Also, the Ambassador is usually under $100. Good luck.

Chris

Thanks to each of you for your suggestions,

We ended up finding a condo in Waikiki that is costing us $625 for 7 nights which will work just fine.

Now for the diving - although we will be doing quite a few boat dives, we are also wanting to do several shore dives in the evenings after building some good surface interval times. We will have a 4WD vehicle so some of the more remote areas are of particular interest. Any recommendations for a few especially intersting and exciting shore dives around Oahu? I did some very interesting shore dives around Kauai and the Big Island by taking this same approach.

Thanks again for your ideas - looking forward to my first diving adventure from Oahu which begins in just over a week from now!!!

NW_DiverDude (Ray)

<===== not a shore diver...sorry that I can't help you out there...what I can say though is the North shore is too rough and the conditions change quick this time of the year. Too bad as the most popular shore dives are there.

Hope you enjoy your time here!

Aloha
Lisa

Try the Pepper Tree apts. DO a google you will see them. I just left and paid 65 a day. They were very clean and have two gas grills you can use for free plus the room had a full kitchen and full size refridg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom