Help please (Nikon SLR Lens)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am new to UW photograpy especially when it comes to lenses. I am getting the nikon D 200. Could you please tell me what is the best lenses I should get for both micro and macro. I usually dive in the carribians and red sea where the visibility usually is good. Your advices and recommendations are appreciated.

Micro is Nikon's term for macro, actually, so they are really one in the same. If this is your first time using dSLR underwater, I would stick with something relatively easy to use like the 60mm micro. This will give you macro ability as well as a mid range fish portraiture lens. If you get the kit lens (not sure which one, the 18-70??), you can house that as well and that should do as a reasonably good all purpose lens. Eventually, you'd probably want to get a good wide angle lens. But start with something like the 60mm micro first, I would suggest, if you want macro ability.

The nikon i am getting comes with Nikon 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF DX VR Lens is that good, or I should change and get different lens?

aboalreem:
The nikon i am getting comes with Nikon 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF DX VR Lens is that good, or I should change and get different lens?

I'd love to get a VR lens myself, as it is an excellent lens, but the question really is being able to house the lens. I'm sure it can be done, but you need to find the right port and port extender combination, in all likelihood. The wide end of that zoom will be more useful than the long end, and I would doubt you would make much use of the long end. UW photography is all about getting close and shooting wide angle, and not about zooming in with a telephoto. If it were me, I'd save the 18-200VR for topside use and get something more suitable for UW use. The kit lens that many D70 users get is the 18-70, which will do fine, but depending on how much you have to spend, you may want to invest in a good macro lens and a good wide angle lens. You can probably house the 18-200, but again, if it were me, I'd save the cost of the port/extender and put that towards a more suitable lens.

Thanks for the tips. I am still little confused....What it the top of the line macro and wide angel lense for the Nikon D 200 that would be great for underwater photography? keep in mind I am using the D 200 Ikelite housing..

It's not really about being "top of the line" so much as appropriate for what you want to shoot. The two macro lenses I would choose from are the Nikkor 60mm micro or the Nikkor 105mm micro. The 60 mm will double as a portrait lens as well as a macro lens, but won't get quite as up close as the 105mm. However, with the 105mm, you're more or less stuck just doing macro. There is no real impact on which housing you use, Ike/Subal/Nexus, as well as a number of other housings, except for the availability of a proper port for the lens. As far as quality of glass, if you're concerned about that, I doubt very much that you'd be unhappy with either, but if I were to select one as being better in that regard, I would give the edge to the 105mm. But don't choose the lens based on anything other than what you wish to accomplish with the lens.

Thanks Warren,
How about Wide angel lenses. ? any recommendation

aboalreem:
Thanks Warren,
How about Wide angel lenses. ? any recommendation
10.5mm fisheye

16mm

12-24mm wide zoom

Well, if cost is not a big issue, you have a decent selection. Nikkor 10.5mm prime would be an excellent choice for shooting wrecks and seascapes. You may want to consider the Nikkor 12-24, as that will give you some flexibility in zooming in to a less wide view. Sigma 10-22 is also an option as mentioned in another thread. I can't speak to the quality of the Sigma lenses, but I've heard some great things about them and they are less expensive than their Nikon counterparts. As well, the Sigma 15mm is another popular choice. It all boils down to your style of photography. I use a Nikkor 12-24 myself, along with the 60mm micro, but I do plan to eventually get the 105mm micro, and if I find more spare cash floating around, the 10.5mm prime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom