DIR diving in the Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I noticed a lot of the dive package include 2 dives a day. I'm guessing it's because divers in Egypt prefer long surface intervals whereas I don't use them as per GUE's procedures.

For example, if there's a good dive site, then after my dive I might prefer to grab fresh tanks (and a fresh DM) on the boat and then immediately head back down for seconds. Would this be a problem in Egypt, or are they relaxed about different ways of diving, including DIR diving?

Well back to diving in Egypt.
No you can't just grab a tank and a fresh DM. Most Probably only one DM is responsible for your group. Also the price you pay for a daily trip is calculated for 2 dives only. If you want to make an additional dive, you have to pay extra. Same goes for night dives.
Regarding DIR and using your computer liberally, well it depends on the group you're diving with. Normally the DM will stay with you until you, or him, reach 50 bars. Also they won't count on your computer. They'll count on theirs.
The only places you can make unlimited number of dives are Marsa Shagra, Nakrani, Lahami, and Deep South. However, you're just diving the very same house reef over and over. What's the idea of diving the same site all the time?

*Floater*:
I was planning on skipping the surface intervals when we go to some of the further away, better sites by boat. The ride can take 3-5 hours so once we are there I'd rather do 3-4 dives rather than the regular 2 that are included. I'd pay extra of course for the tanks, second DM and other applicable expenses. But I'd rather not have a DM thumbing our dives when we still had plenty of time left.

The ride can take 3-5 hours? Where is that? Hurghada? What sites?
I don't think the DM will skip SI with you. Normally DMs use air not nitrox and won't take that risk. I mean they dive all the time and are already saturated with nitrogen.

Daytrip to thistlegorm would be one example...

Red Sea Shadow:
The ride can take 3-5 hours? Where is that? Hurghada? What sites?
I don't think the DM will skip SI with you. Normally DMs use air not nitrox and won't take that risk. I mean they dive all the time and are already saturated with nitrogen.

Wreck trips to Thistlegorm, Abu Nuhas or Salem Express take 3-5 hours from Hurghada according to one of the dive resort website. I'm not expecting the DM's to skip the SI, I'd just like to hire an additional DM so that two of them could take turns and get their SI's in if that's what their deco algorithm requires.

Just a quick note...

Penetrating Salem Express is usually frowned upon and regardless, penetration of the wreck, is not "diver friendly". The outside of the wreck is pretty much a big hull and not a site I´d want to spend more than one dive on (if that).

I´d skip Salem Express and focus on Thistlegorm and the wrecks of Abu Nahas. Looking at your profile I´m not even going to bother lecturing you about the advisability of penetrating wrecks as I´m sure you have that figured out already...

As always YMMV...

grazie42:
Just a quick note...

Penetrating Salem Express is usually frowned upon and regardless, penetration of the wreck, is not "diver friendly". The outside of the wreck is pretty much a big hull and not a site I´d want to spend more than one dive on (if that).

I´d skip Salem Express and focus on Thistlegorm and the wrecks of Abu Nahas. Looking at your profile I´m not even going to bother lecturing you about the advisability of penetrating wrecks as I´m sure you have that figured out already...

As always YMMV...

Thanks. I'll rule that one out.

*Floater*:
Wreck trips to Thistlegorm, Abu Nuhas or Salem Express take 3-5 hours from Hurghada according to one of the dive resort website.
This really depens if you go there by normal diving boat (which is slower) or speed boat (which as the name shows is much quicker).

grazie42:
As much as I like Thisstlegorm - Abu Nahas has much more interesting wrecks.

Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom