How to choose a backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dea

Reaction score
May I be forgiven for the second thread in one day!

My untrained eye does not yet see the differences between the backplates.
A local diveshop only has Halcyon setup for rent, so there will be nothing compare. I know Halcyon is one of the best, but how would the other plates be much worse? From the first sight they seem to be the same in basic design.

What are the key differences?

And can you name them from a pic? For example this BP

FredT (as others will be along shortly to tell you) makes a good plate...I have a Halcyon and have no complaints. The key difference (mostly) is material. Stainless steel backplates are usually around 6# (unless you get a heavier model) and aluminum plates are around 2#.

The plate in your picture looks like a custom job to me...I know it isn't a Halcyon, OMS, Diverite, or FredT (at least I am pretty sure). If I had it to do again, I would probably save a couple bucks and get a FredT....I have never heard anything but great reviews of them.

Dea once bubbled...
What are the key differences?

The differences are subtle and IMO don't matter. I have seen both halcyons and Dive Rites that weren't deburred well; I don't know about the others. For some nice backplates, have a look a Scott Koplin's stuff http://www.selchie.com The weighted single tank adaptor is outstanding if you can use a few more pounds of unditchable ballast.

Ditto on the other comments - very little to distinguish between backplates once you get past "how heavy does my backplate need to be?". FredT (for the quality) or Halcyon are good choices, but as you said in the original posting, they are all the same basic design. Scott Koplin makes a very interesting lightweight hourglass shaped backplate that is definitely unique, but all of the holes and slots are in the same basic pattern - slots for a single piece of continuous webbing, and wing/tank band holes 11" apart (often a number of holes to allow for trim adjustment).

The only real consideration between different designs is whether the plate you are considering has the correct slots and accessory holes for the wings and accessories you are considering adding to your equipment. For example, the latest model of Halcyon Pioneer wings requires some additional vertical slots in the backplate for the tank cam straps (although someone is bound to pipe up and say they get by just fine without using them!), and if you use the Halcyon ACB weight pockets, you would need a backplate with the bolt holes in the correct location for these (or access to a friend with a bench drill!).

Not sure what brand backplate that is in the picture (looks like an aftermarket job), but someone has taken pink divegear to new extremes :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom