Entry level computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prodjbm

Reaction score
I am a brand new diver looking for an entry level computer, I have read many posts here about different computers and still can't figure which one I should get, I definately look into things too much, lol....As I said, I am brand new to diving and after going through those tables and the headaches I got during the class, I decided a computer is a must lol...I do have all my other equiptment already, so the computer would finish it off. My diving wil be pretty limited do to my busy lifestyle, I would be happy to get a dozen dives in a year. Most of my dives will probably be in Fla. in the springs and rivers with an occasional dive here in NJ. I was thinking towards a wrist mount to keep my console depth gauge in it as a back up. Any help and or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

welcome to scuba board
sunto mosquito is reliable and inexpensive

Cheer
Jason

i would go with the Aeris Atmos 2. wrist, cheap, reliable, and batteries last for ever. it's also a Nitrox computer in case you ever move up to Nitrox.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos2Wrist

also, the algorythm is not as conservative sa the Suuntos, which i consider much,
much too conservative. the Atmos won't be beeping at you all the time.

i have had an Atmos 2 for quite a while now, and have had no problems. haven't
even gone into the red (i.e. you should control how conservative your dive
is, not your computer)

Jason Ooi:
welcome to scuba board
sunto mosquito is reliable and inexpensive

Cheer
Jason

Exactly what I was going to suggest!

Great buy, very comfortable, and very easy to use. Also Nitrox compatible.

If you want a larger display (weak eyes), get the Gekko.

theskull

here's a link to a Mosquito:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SQTMQ.html

both it and the Atmos 2 are similarly priced, and have user-replaceable batteries.

the decision you'll have to make is whether you want the Suunto conservative
algorythm or the Atmos 2 algorythm, which parallels the PADI tables.

Agreed!
I used Sunto Mosquito as my backup easy to use with Nitrox compatible.

theskull:
Exactly what I was going to suggest!

Great buy, very comfortable, and very easy to use. Also Nitrox compatible.

If you want a larger display (weak eyes), get the Gekko.

theskull

Hey all. Am I correct in saying that a wrist mount cannot monitor your tank pressure? How is it Nitrox ready?

Why would someone want a console mount?

Thanks in advance

I never used the mosquito, but I seem to see lots of postings about problems with them, in fact there's one on this forum currently. If you do a search you'll find the threads....this would lead me to avoid it. The gekko is a similar computer but has a much better reliability record, based solely on what I've read here.

I'd second the atmos 2; I'm really happy with mine and before I bought it, I did a fair amount of reading about the relative safety of the more conservative suunto algorithm vs the more liberal aeris. Guess what; there's absolutely no evidence that the more conservative computers are "safer" in terms of preventing DCS in recreational diving. There are so many other factors, like ascent rate, hydration, etc... that it's very difficult to determine what role, if any, computer algorithms have in DCS. If you'd feel safer with the suunto, go ahead and get it; lots of people do just that and are happy. But it's definitely not like atmos users are getting bent more frequently; I have a sneaking suspicion there's a lawyer or two that would love to hear about that one if it were true! The wrist mount with your depth guage as back up is a great idea.

ScubaMike05:
Hey all. Am I correct in saying that a wrist mount cannot monitor your tank pressure?

yeah, they sell transmitters (AI) that transmit the pressure to the wrist computer

not sure what you mean by "Nitrox ready" but both the Atmos 2 and the MOsquito
are programmable to up to 40% 02 (i.e. they are Nitrox compatible).

Yes; Atmos 2 and Mosquito is Nitrox ready to 40% O2

Back
Top Bottom