Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My husband and I are considering a trip to Roatan in September and have looked at 2 places to stay, CocoView Resort and Anthonys Key, if anyone can give us any information about these places we would appreciate it. We are also interested in the weather at that time, it would be early in September and we have no idea what to expect. We are pretty new to diving and will be doing our open water dives in June and/or July (depending on when it STOPS snowing here in Syracuse) so I guess another question would be how diver friendly is Roatan for the new diver? If anyone can give us any information we would be very appreciative.

Thanks

We just returned from our 3rd trip to CCV in Roatan. You can read my last trip report at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1236 but I didn't mention much about the dive operation. Normally you'll do two 2-tank boat dives a day. You'll leave the dock around 9am and the first dive will be on one of the chosen sites a short 10-15 min. boat trip away. The second dive will be a drop-off dive if you choose. The boat will drop you off on one of two walls or the ship wreck and you will make your way back to the resort. Don't let this worry you. In your orientation, you will be instructed how to navigate to and fro from the beach. The 'trail' is clearly marked with small floaty bottles as well as a large chain that leads back to the beach. After lunch, the boat will leave the dock around 2pm and will repeat the morning... boat dive then a drop-off dive.

There is also unlimited shore diving, 24/7. There are a few basic safety precautions for night shore dives but that will also be covered in your orientation. We normally do both boat dives, both drop-offs and a night dive every day.

If you'd like to see what part of the resort looks like, go to the CCV album on my PhotoPoint page http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=624404. There is also underwater photos in the Roatan 2001 album.

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Hi diverLaurie,

You asked:

1. CCV v AKR. CCV serves the dedicated diver, good shore diving right out front & 3-5 dives a day is routine. AKR is well set up families & has some non-diver activites, no real shore diving & 2-3 dives is more typical. CCV is quite basic, while AKR is a little cushier, although not luxurious. I like both, but would pick CCV, although you might like AKR better.

2. Is Roatan newbie friendly? Yes, it is. The diving proper is mostly not challenging, and the dive ops are used to serving inexperienced divers.

3. How's the weather in Sep? This is hurricane time & Roatan is in the belt, but the probability of being hit on your week is low. Still, trip insurance might be prudent. Expect it to be hot & humid in Sep, with water temps of ~84 plus/minus a degree.

Nice thing is, either choce you win.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Laurie,
We just got back from Roatan and used Roatan Charter http://www.roatan.com/ to arrange a stay - links to both AK and CCV.

We went a bit cheaper than AK (I think) at Banarama in West Bay. Nice, reasonable at $45 a night (ooh! just checked AK rates from the above link and you must be loaded!). RC has a nice brochure with pix and everything they'll send you.
Terry

I think CocoView is best, you have the great advantage of 3 good dive sites right off your dock. Also try Fantasy Island Beach Resort, it is right across the channel from CocoView, and they are running a great package for 7 nights dive/food inclusive. My Wife and I have had two great trips to roatan (both to Fantasy) and cannot complain about anythig, resort was great, our room was about 50 ft from the dive boat.

If you are going to be on a dive-dive mode (and all members in your party dive) definately choose CocoView or Fantasy.

Both of our trips to the bay islads have been in august and the weather was great, bring repellent the sand flies are deadly.

Have a great time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom