Which is easier to vent: Vest or Rear Bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
Just wondering, is a vest less likely to have problems venting than a rear bcd? Also, my bc has only a top valve over the left shoulder, and I have read many people that they have two up top, with one over the right shoulder, as well. Does anyone think that every BCD should have a dump valve over each shoulder?

Well, I dive backplate now, but with a halfway decent BCD you're not gonna have a lot of benefit with two dump valves on your shoulder (just get in the habit of raising your left side a bit), plus its a bit of task loading and extra valves you just don't need to worry about.

If you ever get a wing, I heartily recommend getting one with a rear dump valve... you don't have to screw up your trim to fix your bouyancy (important when you're a clutz like me :) )

BTW - I dove a backplate/wing in a T-shirt Saturday at the local dive hole - people who say jackets are more comfortable can't be talking about in the water :wink:

jeff

Dump valves are always potential failure points. Debris may become trapped in one and cause the BC to leak, or a valve could fail outright. While I believe a single shoulder dump is an important safety feature for an open water recreational diver, IMO two shoulder dumps actually reduces safety somewhat. You can have too much of a good thing.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom