Gear Great for ANY Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ezlife

Reaction score
I sold my old gear setup to get the "stuff I always wanted". FYI, stuff I always wanted = Zeagle. I finally have the time to enjoy it. This week I decided on the flathead VI/ZX(already paid cash in full, too late to convince me to go Apeks :D ).

I was going to purchase the Zeagle 911 with the MKII Octo+ and Oceanic Pro Plus 2 today, but decided to get a 2nd opinion(you). I don't want to be limited to the type of diving I can do because of my gear. Like the reg I picked works great cold or warm. My old setup was the Sherwood Blizzard - took it to the Keys every year and did -2 deg C (28F) water temp dives up here no problem.

My question is mainly about the Air integrated Comp and Octo+ - I think the Tech or 911 Tech will do most of what I would want(including doubles) down the road. You can let me know if you disagree. How is the Octo+ in cold water? I like it for the reef dives, but should I just get a ZX octo? What would be the best all around computer? Or will I end up buying another anyway if I go in to the more technical areas(trimix, stage bottles etc...) of the sport? Any input would be great. And yes I do plan on doing a LOT more diving this year.

I would have to advise you to not get the Octo+ I had it and it gave me nothing but trouble. First of since the purge is on the end I often hit it while diving causing it to free flow on me. Also I found it very very sinsitive to sand as sand would offten clog up the thing which would require me taking it appart in the field and rince off all pieces. . Ofter about 50 dives with it I got fed up and put the inflator back on and got a regular octo.

If you ever do go to doubles, you will buy a BP/W. You could save yourself a little bit of money and get a singles BP/W now, though you'll need a new wing if you go to doubles. That cost will be a drop in the bucket compared to the other costs of tech diving equipment.

I would go ahead and use a standard backup regulator rather than an Air2 type setup. I am a purely recreational diver, but I dive with a long primary hose (7 feet) and like it very much as the routing keeps the hose close to my body and very streamlined.

I also use a BP/W and it has truly allowed my diving to improve. Like I said, I'm recreational with no tech plans. Some gear chices just make sense no matter which path you are on.

Gregg

Thanks for the advice on the Octo+, I decided to get another flathead VI. I figured I could use the 2nd stage as an octo and then if I get into the technical stuff, I have another full reg for whatever it is I'd need. I plan on doing a lot in the east coast of Canada(northern New Brunswick), as I'm there a fair bit every year (in-laws). Very bloody cold water. I have thought about just getting a BP/W set up as well. You are right about the money, the more I look into this, the more I wish I kept my old equipment and just kept my head in the sand about the new technology. I used to manage a dive shop(10 years ago) so I know about the mark up etc.. and find it hard to hand over the money and not feel like I'm getting ripped off. Good thing most of the computers weren't around then, as that's my biggest obstacle I think right now. I'm very nervous to get an AI hoseless comp as anything wireless always seems to screw up. Good thing my next dive isn't for another 6 weeks - Plenty of time to plan my purchases.

What BP/W setup do you use? and couldn't I get a wing with enough lift for doubles and use it with a single BP first?

Good choice on going with the Zeagle reg. I love mine. I have the ZX as the octo as well.

Here's my setup.

SS BP with Oxycheq 45 singles wing
Zeagle DSIV with ZX second on 7 ft hose and ZX octo on short hose bungeed around my neck.

Give the 7 ft hose a try during an OOA drill and you'll never go back to a standard rec configuration.

I use this setup diving wet or dry, cold 40 degree water or warm. Fresh or salt.

Almost forgot. I use a Suunto Vytec AI computer, but, I also have an SPG. I never dive without the SPG but am perfectly willing to dive without the AI working. Sometimes you forget to sync up the AI before the dive and it's hard to reach back and do it once you're in the water or geared up. SPG never lies and never needs to be sync'd up.

The Atomic SS1's breather better than the Octo+. 2-year service interval like all other Atomics too.

For a BP/W I use and OMS setup. I have a stanless steel BP (great for cold water as it takes alot of weight off your hip) and 45lbs wings. My wings are good for my twin 50 and also great for a single which I have a STA for. They are a bit on the small side for my twing 85s however if I am only going to be doing shallow long dives they work just fine. I am am going to do anything deep or with alot of gear I swap out my 45 and put on my doubble blader 80lbs wing. I love this set up and would not trade it.

if you like the inflator alternate style (I do) go with the scubapro air 2, I agree with kjundvr the octo+ is way finicky. on the bc side save a couple buck (probably 100+) and go with a tech instead of the 911. the 911 doesn't give you much more (reflective trim and maybe some pockets) but comes at a premium price because of "disigned for public safety divers"

ezlife:
What BP/W setup do you use? and couldn't I get a wing with enough lift for doubles and use it with a single BP first?
YOu could but it defeates the purpose of the system . Wings arnt that expensive , just get the doubles down the road when you decide to throw a couple tanks together

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom