Sudan - March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arfy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I'm off to Sudan mid-March for a week's diving.

Can anyone advise whether a 3mm wetsuit is sufficient for that time of year?

In addition, can anyone recommend a good insurer that is flexible on depth and has full coverage (getting bent in Sudan would not be much fun!!)

Many thanks

Ben

Ben

Mid March will be 26-27 Celcius, so for repetitive diving I would reccomend a full 5 mm suit. I once went in the end of March (we had a constant 27 C) with only a 3mm suit and after about a weeks diving, making three-four 60 minute+ dives a day, I got seriously ill due to getting constantly chilled. The second week was kind of harsh, but I didn't cancel any dives... In mid April the water temperature jumps up to 28-29 C, then a 3 mm works.

good luck

Ben, I have been there 4 times, in February, March and April.

I always take 3mm for 60-minutes dives 3-4 times a day (to great depths sometimes) but I must admit that most people will take 5mm.
I do take an extra body to put on over my suit for night dives.

If you want I'll check my dive log and send you a list of temperatures during my dives.

Check my website for some Sudan pictures, underwater (cat. scuba) and also on land (cat. living and nature).

Last April we had some strange weather for the Sudan. Rain and stormy wind, so take something warm if you are on a live-aboard. I have had hard wind before in the Sudan.

@Christian: hi Christian, remember me from Sudan? AyMei from Amsterdam.:D

Hi AyMei!

Yes off course I remember you. It was a great trip. I've been in Amsterdam quite often during 2005 for work, I did recall you were living there, so i thought maybe we'd bump in to each other. It's such a nice an compact city.

No Sudan for me this year, but probably South Suakin next spring - hopefully.

All the best

/christian

Back
Top Bottom