Freediving Safety Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Chad,

I developed such a vest in the 1980s, but could get no one to manufacture it. I still use it for all my dives, and call it the Para-Sea BC. You can see a picture of it on my photo here. I still would like to get it produced, as it has a lot of advantages, including the streamlining feature. I have used it in all kinds of environments, including snorkeling in high-current rivers (the North Umpqua by Roseburg, Oregon and the Clackamas River near Portland, Oregon). Here's the patent info:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...est)&OS=Ratliff+and+vest&RS=(Ratliff+AND+vest)

I'll get some drawings of it and post them. I really at this point don't care about making money with it, but just wish it could get onto the market. My wife and I did not want us to go into business for ourselves with it years ago, as there is quite a liability too. But it is available, and I think it is now public domain too.

I just read through the article on the website by Dr. Terry Maas titled "The Case for a Device to Manage Freediver Blackout," and it is apparent that my vest, while a good design, does not have the high tech components that the Free Diving Vest would have. Working in a high tech company, I appreciate these efforts to incorporate high tech sensing devices into the arsenal for free divers. I would like to still get my design out there; perhaps it could incorporate some of these advances too, but it looks like the design aspect is fairly far along.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom