annual servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the power inflator can corrode. the bladder can dry rot and get leaks the hose can dry rot also. Its not a bad idea to give a good service or at least a through inspection, but you can do most of that yourself.

backyardbum1:
does all scuba equipment need servicing annually. i know regs do but what about bcd's. thanks

Don't forget your console. The battery may need replacing on your computer (if you have one) and the integrity of the pressure and depth guages should be checked. :monkeydan

Bring your regs to your LDS for service, they should deal with the items that rgerman brought up.

On a fairly regular basis just give your equipment a good once over. One of the major failure points of a BC for instance are the dump valves - not that they fail but that they simply can unscrew themselves. Make sure that the BC does what it's supposed to do, inflate it and let it sit overnight, then check to make sure it held air. Simple checks like this will show you a potential problem long before it becomes a serious problem.

Actually, a lot of regs don't need annual service any more. For example, Atomic and Mares (the ones with a spherical core seat) only require every other year. And now they have lifetme free parts.

And Oceanic is going to a inspect after 1, rebuild after 2 policy for their DVT regs.

Dive Rite recomends every two years or after i forgot how many dives.

I would say....whatever the paperwork says you must do to keep the warrantee. But, I also know, if you are military or work with the military, a number of manufacturers are cutting slack if you miss a "required" time period as you may have been deployed at the time. This I have learned from personal experience.

I have seen power inflaters (not mine) go bad on rental equipment on two different dives. Fortunately, it happened before the divers submerged. I would want to make sure mine doesn't go bad.

boulderjohn:
I have seen power inflaters (not mine) go bad on rental equipment on two different dives. Fortunately, it happened before the divers submerged. I would want to make sure mine doesn't go bad.

The power inflator in my experience is the most likely to fail of all gear, few get it serviced and when the fail they auto inflate meaning a risk of over expansion injury.

Please service yearly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom