Pushy LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ogre

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had placed my first order for reg's and guages from a LDS and when i came to pick them up they informed me that the first and second stage were on back order. Ok no big deal but then they start pushing SCUBAPRO (not what i had on order). The guy said thing like " bteathing with SCUBAPRO is like breathing through a pipe at to breathing through a straw with SHERWOOD (REG I orderd)". 2 minutes later he said that just about any REG would supply more air then you could use. I felt that all they were doing was push SCUBAPRO and that i was getting mis-infromation. I know I could buy the gear online and save a bunch but there is something to be said for buying local and warrenty's and all that. The SHERWOOD MAXIMUS is what I had orderd and not i don't know, am i going to find this at all LDS or was this a mis understanding?
Can i expect this to happen a lot or was it just one pushy person?

Could have been a misunderstanding or a just a pushy salesman. Hard to tell.

However, if you're convinced that your choice of regs is OK, just ignore him.

ogre:
It could be he was just enthusiastic about a top-notch regulator, and when the one you asked for was on backorder, wanted to see you get into what he believed was a superior regulator.

I might well have done the same... ScubaPro regulators are known for being exceptionally reliable and very high quality, and what you wanted wasn't available at the time. I don't see the problem... as El Orans said, you don't have to take anyone's advice if your sure about what you want.

Personally, I expect recommendations when I got to an LDS, although I always take them with a grain of salt and make my own evaluations.

Some manufacturers require a retailer to buy large amounts of inventory to get "on their team". A local shop owner told me he was getting away from Scubapro due to this. If you buy a lot of inventory, you have to push it.

I don't have any personal experience with the Sherwood, but the SP is an excellent regulator.

Whatever he was doing, he wasn't trying to mislead you into buying a worse regulator. Had you taken his advice, you would have been very happy with your purchase.

Terry

ogre:
I had placed my first order for reg's and guages from a LDS and when i came to pick them up they informed me that the first and second stage were on back order. Ok no big deal but then they start pushing SCUBAPRO (not what i had on order). The guy said thing like " bteathing with SCUBAPRO is like breathing through a pipe at to breathing through a straw with SHERWOOD (REG I orderd)". 2 minutes later he said that just about any REG would supply more air then you could use. I felt that all they were doing was push SCUBAPRO and that i was getting mis-infromation. I know I could buy the gear online and save a bunch but there is something to be said for buying local and warrenty's and all that. The SHERWOOD MAXIMUS is what I had orderd and not i don't know, am i going to find this at all LDS or was this a mis understanding?

ogre:

Well.... in this case he may have been trying to offer you an alternative by pushing what he could deliver..... In any case (as an ex-sherwood maximus owner) I would tend to agree with his assesment that the scubapros perform better. Sherwood's 1st stage is bulletproof (and certainly less prone to creep than the SP) but Sherwood has let themselves get way behind the curve on 2nd stage performance.

R..

Diver0001:
Well.... in this case he may have been trying to offer you an alternative by pushing what he could deliver..... In any case (as an ex-sherwood maximus owner) I would tend to agree with his assesment that the scubapros perform better. Sherwood's 1st stage is bulletproof (and certainly less prone to creep than the SP) but Sherwood has let themselves get way behind the curve on 2nd stage performance.

R..

I have to agree with Diver0001 on this one. I don't own a maximus, but I have a blizzard that I don't use anymore, but is still fully functional. Several years ago I switched to a Mares Abyss, and instantly noticed the difference in performance at depth.

Sherwood makes a good, reliable, "bullet-proof" product that has several things going for it like moisture retention fins in the 2nd stage to combat cotton mouth and a positive pressure bleed in the first stage that essentially makes them environmentally sealed.

However, while the Maximus, Blizzard (etc.) are decent balanced regs, they are draghthorses commpared to Abyss, ScubaPro, and other thoroughbreds.

Same thing happened to me when I was first looking for a regulator. I wanted an SP but the sales guy was trying to sell me an Apex ATX200 Black Pearl! He extolled the virtues of Apex over SP. I ended up buying an AL Titan LX from another shop. I went back in about three months later, and they were now a SP dealer. Same guy trying to see my a high end SP....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom