oceanic computer display error: fixable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calwolf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just put new batteries in an Oceanic Dataplus 2 computer that had been sitting for a couple years, and it's not working right. It powers up, goes through its countdown mode, and then the display is all screwed up. It's lit up mostly in the right places, but certain segments that are supposed to be on are off, and extra ones are on, making the thing pretty impossible to read. I can still cycle through the menus though. I'm guessing it's time to get a new computer (and Larry at scubatoys told me the same thing), but I'd love to hear of a quick, cheap, and easy way to fix it or have it fixed... if it's possible, so I don't have to buy another. I don't have an authorized Oceanic dealer nearby, and it's not under warranty anyway. I have emailed the company and am waiting for a response, but I don't expect them to be very helpful.

Ideas?

Thanks.

My experience with electronic items in general is: when they break you throw them away. I have a digital camera I paid about $350 for. Several of the pixels are bad. It would cost almost the price I paid for the camera to have the pixels fixed. Then I would still have a 4-5 year old camera.

Don't throw it away!

If you don't have one of our dealers handy you can send it direct to us (always prefer you to use a dealer if possible). Our repair rates are very reasonable.

Monday call 1-510-562-0500 ext 226 and talk to Ron Landis, he will get you a RA and exact quote.

PM me if I can help at all.

Why do you feel we won't be very helpful?

Best,

Chris
Southeast Regional Manager

cerich:
Don't throw it away!

If you don't have one of our dealers handy you can send it direct to us (always prefer you to use a dealer if possible). Our repair rates are very reasonable.

Monday call 1-510-562-0500 ext 226 and talk to Ron Landis, he will get you a RA and exact quote.

PM me if I can help at all.

Why do you feel we won't be very helpful?

Best,

Chris
Southeast Regional Manager
My experiences with this at Oceanic have been fantastic.
mixed-smiley-018.gif

I sure wish Oceanic, Genesis and who ever else is using that quarter turn method to secure the battery compartment would go to some kind of screw in method. I had....for a couple of weeks....an Oceanic computer and had more trouble with that system I finally just took it back to the store and swapped out for an old Genesis that used screws to hold the battery compartment lid on secure.

calwolf:
I just put new batteries in an Oceanic Dataplus 2 computer that had been sitting for a couple years, and it's not working right. It powers up, goes through its countdown mode, and then the display is all screwed up. It's lit up mostly in the right places, but certain segments that are supposed to be on are off, and extra ones are on, making the thing pretty impossible to read. I can still cycle through the menus though. I'm guessing it's time to get a new computer (and Larry at scubatoys told me the same thing), but I'd love to hear of a quick, cheap, and easy way to fix it or have it fixed... if it's possible, so I don't have to buy another. I don't have an authorized Oceanic dealer nearby, and it's not under warranty anyway. I have emailed the company and am waiting for a response, but I don't expect them to be very helpful.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Yea, I told you it won't be real cheap... but we can have them get it fixed up - it's normally about $80 or so and worst case they just send out a refurb unit . So if you want to put some money into that one, or put it toward a newer style is your call... but probably for what it will cost you to fix it, you should be able to sell if for more than that anyway.

I've always found Oceanic to be very helpful. Most of my friends and myself use their computers and they always been very reponsive to problems. They even replaced a friends after he dropped it and cracked the case.

RICHinNC:
I sure wish Oceanic, Genesis and who ever else is using that quarter turn method to secure the battery compartment would go to some kind of screw in method. I had....for a couple of weeks....an Oceanic computer and had more trouble with that system I finally just took it back to the store and swapped out for an old Genesis that used screws to hold the battery compartment lid on secure.

My Data Plus does screw in. Are the newer ones different?

buckeye_jeff:
I've always found Oceanic to be very helpful. Most of my friends and myself use their computers and they always been very reponsive to problems. They even replaced a friends after he dropped it and cracked the case.
Yep - I think their policy is to simply replace with refurbished units. Hey, $80 to replace an out of warranty Personal Dive Comp with a refurbished model with a warrnty? Pretty good deal.

Call Oceanic at 800-435-3483 and discuss direct return arrangements. Pretty easy...

jumping-smiley-021.gif

awap:
My Data Plus does screw in. Are the newer ones different?
My Data Plus ( with only 1 control button, and limited data logging) uses coin cell batteries and has a quarter turn slot.

My Data Plus 2 (2 control buttons) uses a 1/2 AA lithium and small screws to hold a battery cover in place.

Do you have Data Plus or Data Plus 2 ?

-------------

Calwolf -- what you describe (functional but some strange LCD segments lit/unlit) typically happens in electronic equipment when there is a misalignment between the electronics printed circuit board and the display board itself, or where a little rubber thing-a-ma-jig called a "zebra strip" no longer has good enough elasticity to make good connection between the two board.

Typically can't be fixed, although in some equipment a few hard whacks, literally, can fix it be relaligning the conductive rubber zebra strip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom