Difference among analog gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbanks78

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Is there really any difference among analog gauges? I am getting a suunto computer and was looking at getting a suunto combo analog depth and spg so that if i ever wanted to back my computer up I could do so with another suunto since they use the same algorithm. So I guess my question is: should I limit what kind of gauge I can get for that purpose or should I not worry about such things and get any analog guage I want?

For example, I already mentioned the suunto system, but I really like the Mares Mission 2D becuase it incorporates a thermometer (albeit this is minor in the grand scheme of things).

Thank you for your input.

Rob

My Suuntos have themometers too. I assume you are getting a wrist mount computer?

Yes, I am getting a wrist mount computer. I meant that the SM-26/36 and SM-16 appear to be the only analog combo from suunto and they do not incorporate a thermometer on them.

There are a few differences in analogue gauges. For example, they come as consoles or individual units. The SPG's come in plastic or metal. The markings can be a little different on the gauges. For example, alot of SPG's come with a slash on the face of the gauge for every 250 PSI. Other ones come in marks of 100 PSI.

I think the latter variety (individual, metal, with markings of 100) are an advantageous route to go in the long run. I had a console unit with depth and pressure gauges that just ended up being too bulky for my tastes and it was difficult to clip and unclip effectively (for me). The metal variety are generally stronger. The ones with more definite markings are really helpful, especially for newer divers like you and I who are tracking our air consumption very closely while in the underwater environment. It is also easier to realize you are losing gas when the numbers are precise and free of clutter.

There are a couple popular SPG's that fit this profile. The ones I have seen in our area (high springs has a much more interesting SCUBA market than gainesville, BTW) are made by DIVERITE or are a strange miniature clone variety under different masks known as (HALCYON, SALVO, DIR ZONE). I use the clone variety since they are the least expensive, strong, and very accurate. The DIVERITE generally has a higher tag and is larger than the others and therefore is also a good candidate for a quality SPG you will want to keep around.

Hope this helps,

-V

robbanks78:
Yes, I am getting a wrist mount computer. I meant that the SM-26/36 and SM-16 appear to be the only analog combo from suunto and they do not incorporate a thermometer on them.
But the computer itself will have a thermometer so need to have another one with the gauges. Believe all the Suunto computers do, whichever one you're getting.

Back
Top Bottom