DIRF in Central NJ? and DIRF Pricing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

java

Reaction score
While I am not ready for a DIRF course yet, I am wondering if they are ever available in Central NJ?
Is there any shop in Central NJ that has instructors / divers etc that are friendly to the concept of DIR diving? (it's probably hard to be the only one in an area with gear that no one else has)
Also can anyone give me an idea of what a DIRF course would cost?

Hey Java,

I would not wait to take a DIRF class. Take it before you have to relearn everything. I took the DIRF class in Virginia, and I think it was $250 or $275.

As far as I know, there are no "DIR-friendly" dive shops in central NJ. I know of one shop that is somewhat DIR friendly in PA - Northeast Scuba Supply. John sells Halcyon (along with Dive Rite) and is located near West Chester. He has about the best gear selection and price in the area.

By the way, there are a couple of DIR friendly divers/instructors in the NJ/PA area.:wink: People do look at you and some even comment.

Stacey

Java,

While I am not opposed to training, and from what I hear DIRF increases the learning curve dramatically, I still feel that experience is the best instructor, especially for NJ diving.

If you would like to come diving with us, I have a private boat, and a small group that typically gets out every weekend.

Email me at Dan@wreck-finder.com for more information, and give me an idea of your experience level so far. Oh, we are DIR friendly, I am even approaching DIR myself.

d

Java,

Everyone says to take DIRF ASAP....not to wait. That being said, if you are buying a new BP/wnigs set-up, I think it would be worth getting 10+ dives in with the new gear first, especially if you have someone local who can give your some basic tips. I just find that it helps to be familiar with gear before rushing into a class....that way you have some experience with it, helping you to get more out of the class.

Our course here in Boston (this coming weekend) is $300...the higher price is due to plane fare (instructors coming from the west coast).

-LD

Java, contact Mike Kane

mhkane@prodigy.net

He is the guy (along with Andrew G.) that generally travels around teaching the DIRF course. He can tell you the specifics about getting a class in your area. You generally need about 6 people. Then put the word out on Techdiver, VB Tech, Gue/Quest, Scubaboard, etc.

While a shop contact is not needed, I found it to be very beneficial as they are accustomed to giving classes and setting up travel arrangements.

We just had one here in NC, let me know if you want more details.

I am a fairly new diver also and would agree that 10 or so dives on the bp/wings would be helpful as opposed to getting it new and taking the class right off. Even a couple pool dives would suffice though.

Tommy

BTW, I'm not sure which one of you regulators moved this thread, but it does not necessarily belong in the "Tek" section. DIRF applies to divers of all levels, not just tech divers

PA/NJdiver once bubbled...
Hey Java,

I would not wait to take a DIRF class. Take it before you have to relearn everything. .

Stacey

I'm at the stage where I have to relearn everything. I plan on getting back into the sport and just want to do it right (no pun intended). I would rather not relearn bad habits. I therefore am trying to see all the options BEFORE I jump back in.

Thanks

I just want to thank Waterlover & PA/NJdiver for spending time with me on Sunday showing me with great patience the BP/Wings gear they use as well as an important discussion on the pros and cons (not many cons if any) of the DIB (Doing it Better) philosophy.
Reading things here on the board is one thing. Seeing it up close with expert commentary is a whole new ballgame.

I suggest that anyone thinking of DIR (DIB to quote Waterlover) should make the effort to meet local divers who dive that way.

large_diver said...
BTW, I'm not sure which one of you regulators moved this thread, but it does not necessarily belong in the "Tek" section. DIRF applies to divers of all levels, not just tech divers
I fought this battle before when a moderator moved a previous DIRF thread

I explained that DIRF is not just for technical diving, but their recreational blinders were on tight and they just didn’t get it.

Until they do, expect DIRF threads to be moved to the technical forum.

Roak

At dinner on Saturday night this past weekend (I took DIRF this weekend here in the Boston area), I asked Andrew G. when GUE would start offering OW certifications, since this seems to be a logical progression given the spread of DIR into recreational diving.

Apparently this is coming soon. Andrew has been incorporating DIR principals into the OW training that his shop (Fifth Dimension scuba in Seattle) provides for some time (the actually cert card is through SSI, I believe).

Perhaps the regulators will start to "believe" that DIR does not always equal "tech"....;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom