Any one try one of these DPV's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not really discouraging you but that scooter probably will not pull a loaded diver with any authority. Best figures I can find on the SeaDoo type scooter such as that one is that they make between 8 and 16 lbs of thrust depending upon model. Compare this with the Tekna which makes between 12 and 60 lbs (adjustable thrust). The Tekna with the prop set a number 6 position (of 1-10) will pull a loaded diver with effortless speed that even the strongest Jet Fin super diver cannot match but for a few feet. At position 8-10 a fin powered diver is hoplessly out matched by the speed. Downside, they quit making them years ago but the motor, prop and shroud are essentially the same as the higher dollar units of today. I have two of them, including purchase and repairs I have 600 in one and close to 800 in the other. Not cheap but the only DPVs that are as fast or go as long or longer cost more like 2500 or more.
The Tekna, like most modern high performance DPVs run 24V direct drive motors turning about 600/900 RPM. The motors are large and heavy. The SeaDoo "type" run a small geared hobby type motor and are 12V. N

I know all about the higher dollar scooters and will be purchasing one within the next 6 to 8 months, but for the time being Im interested in paying less than 200 shipped. I have a sea doo gti that just went Kaput and to be honest I have had many great dives with it in my singles rig. Its also allot easier to persuade your frinds to spend $200 as opposed to $2500+ on a scooter so that you have someone to dive with.

So the question remains, Has anyone acutally used one of these? How do they compare to the sea doo's

It looks a lot like the SeaDoo, hmmm.........

I just bought this at ComputerGeeks.com for 110, gonna take it to the intercoastal. I am not a diver, just thought this would be a fun toy. I will let you know if it works well or not if anyone is interested. I have question tho. It came with some sort of foot/air pump. No where in the manual does it say what it is used for. Any ideas??
Tim

fwiw, last summer on our liveaboard one of the divers had one of these - at least it looks very similar and I remember it was baby blue. First day, first dive, he zoomed around us for about 20mins, quicker than I could swim, then it broke and he had to tow it back to the boat.

You screw the hose from the pump into the top of the battery compartment and use the air presure to pop the compartment open..

Be sure and lube the orings and make sure there arent any hairs or grains of sand on them when you asseble the unit. I Have a couple of the seadoo scooters and they have been great...

Ill be interested to know how the build quality is on these.

Phil

Timmy1313:
I just bought this at ComputerGeeks.com for 110, gonna take it to the intercoastal. I am not a diver, just thought this would be a fun toy. I will let you know if it works well or not if anyone is interested. I have question tho. It came with some sort of foot/air pump. No where in the manual does it say what it is used for. Any ideas??
Tim

There are two classes of scooters, toys and tech. The toy scooters like SeaDoo make about 5 to 15 pounds of thrust. They work great in a pool. They generally are not very reliable because they are built as a TOY to be used in situations were your not actually counting on it to keep going. These toy class scooters are 12 volts with a small little battey and have an electric motor that would easily fit in the palm of your hand which drives a fixed pitch prop through a gearbox often using plastic gears--some have metal gears. These scooters usually price out under 500 dollars.

The "real deal" scooters, like X Scooters, Gavins etc, for example price out at thousands of dollars and are very relaible (given the nature of electricity and salt water). These use large (barely held in both hands) direct drive motors running at 24 volts. The motors are large so they can produce power for long periods without heating and the direct drive eliminates the power sucking and unreliable gearbox. The propellers are often variable pitch and these scooters make on low setting about 15 pounds of thrust and on their highest setting more than 75 pounds of thrust.

There are some mid range scooters like the Mako, Apollo and the old tekna that use large 24 volt motors in ABS molded housings. These use essentially the same running gear as the high priced types and run around 1,500 dollars new. These also have up to 75 pounds of thrust.

The old Teknas are fast. Another scooter that shows up often are the Farallons, aluminum body,l ook like a torpedo and go like one! Neither are actually made now though the Mako and most modern Tech scooters evolved from the Tekna type motor/prop/shroud system.

Toy scooter 12 volt motor, you can close your hand around it:

43_0.jpg

"Tekna" type GE direct drive 24 volt motor--very powerful and large:
DSCF0160.jpg

N

There are about 5 Chinese companies making these knock-off sea doo clones. For just goofing around they are great. I use mine to take me across the local quarry and at the beach. For serious diving you would need the more expensive jobs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom