Pennies as wight as opposed to lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

java

Reaction score
Hi,
While I know that lead weight poses no health risk, based on some threads some people seem to complain about the cost of lead (sometimes over $2 a lb).
I was wondering if anyone ever used soft weight pouches filled with pennies as weights.
By my calculations 146 pre 1983 pennies or 182 1983+ pennies weigh a lb. (pennies made from 1983 and on are zinc plated with copper and therefore lighter)
I bet that everyone has loads of pennies lying around. And if ever in a pinch for $$ just hand in $4 worth of pennies for an air fill and pick up some rock :)

Seriously has anyone thought of using anything but lead?

It might work if you live in the UK, but I have limited access to British coins.

Walter once bubbled...
It might work if you live in the UK, but I have limited access to British coins.

I am talking about US currency!! I have no idea of the weight of british currency.

bengiddins once bubbled...
Gold would be approximately the same size for weights... :rolleyes:

actually gold wights would be much smaller than lead due to its density. When I find the next Atocha ill consider.

the following is a small list of metalic witght in lb per cubic inch

copper 0.32 lb/CI
lead 0.41
nickel 0.32
zinc 0.25
iron 0.28
gold 0.69

And if they don't work out, I have some broken crockery you can have. But seriously, I have a mentor who just stuffs rocks in his pockets & ditches them as he rises. Try the pennies. Tell us how they go. You may be onto something.

I gotta go try it, just for the fun of it!!!

Mark

"I am talking about US currency!! I have no idea of the weight of british currency."

Pennies are British. There is no US "penny."

Back
Top Bottom