Give me a little Homework

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am really excited about the Digital Photography Course in Bali with Mike Veitch! I am coming from behind technically so I would appreciate getting some suggestions for things to work on. I have gotten such great advice here, so if you have any ideas, let's hear them.

I am getting a hard drive for the huge RAW files. Any advice for uploading to laptop?

I have the 12-24 mm, 105 mm, and the 10.5mm lenses Is this suffiicient?

Should I spring for the second strobe? Ike 125 DX?

Do you all think I should take CS II? I only have Photoshop elements... CS ll = $$

My main question is about what to study and what to buy before then. I gotta keep up with Dennis!

Thanks,
Catherine

catherine96821:
I am really excited about the Digital Photography Course in Bali with Mike Veitch! I am coming from behind technically so I would appreciate getting some suggestions for things to work on. I have gotten such great advice here, so if you have any ideas, let's hear them.

I am getting a hard drive for the huge RAW files. Any advice for uploading to laptop?

I have the 12-24 mm, 105 mm, and the 10.5mm lenses Is this suffiicient?

Should I spring for the second strobe? Ike 125 DX?

Do you all think I should take CS II? I only have Photoshop elements... CS ll = $$

My main question is about what to study and what to buy before then. I gotta keep up with Dennis!

Thanks,
Catherine
Wait till your done the course. Your eye for a picture (which is the real talent) is great. Buy hardware to solve a real problem instead of buying hardware to solve a perceived problem.

wow, thanks Jeff. your vacation has made you... a kinder better jeff.

catherine96821:
wow, thanks Jeff. your vacation has made you... a kinder better jeff.
No...I'm still the same old Jeff. I'm just honest...for good or bad.

You've got all the lenses you need to cover things, for sure. Practice as much as you can - concentrate on learning one lens instead of trying to swap back and forth.

Same with the single strobe - learn how to aim it properly and how to control the light so it does what you want it to do. It'll be tough with the 10.5, but your other lenses will keep you busy for a long time!

If Elements does what you want it to do, stick with that for now if cash is tight. CS2 is wonderful, but you can live without it.

An external backup drive is a great option. Use firewire. I use a card reader to load images from card to computer...it's faster than from the camera. I use a $10 job from Sam's Club :wink: It's really tiny for travel, too.

Get your hands on Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition. Look at lots of images - above and below. Get a feel for what you like and what doesn't float your boat so much. Not that you shouldn't consider how to get those other shots...both your positive and negative reactions will help you develop your own style.

Practice practice practice. Experiment with settings, angles, compositions. Get to know your lenses and strobe and what you can do with them.

You're well on the road to getting the most from your upcoming course!

K, thanks. I go diving with Leesa tomorrow, she is great. I will look for the book. Thanks!

Hmmmm, I'm going to have to step it up a notch...:D

Leesa, don't give her too many tips...

Dennis, you always find me, my love. I am ready to go to Bali.

Diver Dennis:
Hmmmm, I'm going to have to step it up a notch...:D
What...buy more gear :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom