rigging a crotch strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to figure out how to rig a crotch strap together with the two d-rings, two keepers, and webbing. I'm wondering if people can point me to a site or thread that can help me figure this out.

I tried putting the D ring on the webbing [through the keeper]. I then fed the webbing through the back of my backplate, and then brought it around and back through the inside of the keeper. I thought it would lock it well, but while I could get two strips of webbing through one side of the keeper, I couldn't get it looped around and locked off through the other side of the keeper.

I had planned on feeding both ends through D-rings as explained above to make a piece of webbing with two D-rings and two loops on the end. However without being able to get the webbing through the keeper, I couldn't get it done.

Is it that I just have to find a keeper with bigger slots, or is there a better way to do this? [I can take a photo of what I was trying to do if it's not explained well...]

Spectre once bubbled...
[I can take a photo of what I was trying to do if it's not explained well...]
You explained it just fine... with one exception... what are you using for webbing?

Weight belt webbing is too thick to double back through a keeper... but then it is also too thick for using as a crotch strap!!!

What you had planned... making the two loops using the keepers and D-rings... is just fine... but you need to use standard (soft) 2" nylon webbing... and it will be able to double back through the keepers... it will also be more comfortable. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
what are you using for webbing?

The harness webbing I got from FredT.

What you had planned... making the two loops using the keepers and D-rings... is just fine... but you need to use standard (soft) 2" nylon webbing... and it will be able to double back through the keepers... it will also be more comfortable. :D

I sat for a while after posting and couldn't figure out how I could get it doubled through one side and not the other. Then I figured out what I was trying to do. I was trying to loop the webbing and feed it on the inside, so that the little bit of extra is on the inside rather than the outside of the strap. Making that curve inside was the problem. If I just fed the webbing through both sides of the keeper, rolled it, and fed it through the keeper above the first pass it worked out ok.

[And I've now gotten quite a bit of practice as I had it all together... and forgot the inner tube to hold the little bit of extra...]

One loop down, one loop 3/4 done... I just don't feel like getting back in the wetsuit to get the length right! I'll finish tomorrow...

I know I have used a climbing harness bought from a local climbing store which has plenty of padding and works great. This harness is about 3 years old and still is perfomin awesome. Look at ems.com at theri different harnesses.

God... you just reminded me of the many times I have forgotten the darn inner tube as well. I hate that. :D

Back
Top Bottom