'Sal Sabiel' liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard the current owners of the boat were having a bit of an argument over the domain name with a former business partner. Apparently it has come to a resolution of sorts :wink:

I am not sure I would book "a really cheap" liveaboard but then again your idea of cheap and mine might be different. I also haven't heard of the boat and if the owners arguing about a domain name not sure I would want to book either.

By the standards of any american, this one is really cheap :wink: we got it at half price, 350 euro per person for a week. I expect the accommodation to be basic, but hey, who cares? Frankly I don't see the advantage of gold-plated faucets and airconditioning throughout the ship if you're going to spend all day in the water and all night on deck as we intend to do.

Safety is another matter, of course. But in the end this comes down to training and a good buddy, not the ship.

Anyway, the site is back online, apparently they were moving it.

Tell me about it, even on an Emperor boat last year I saw rusty water coming from one or two air tanks :11:

We will definitely be asking to see the O2-kit and satellite phone, checking where the compressor intake is located, etcetera. I'm lucky to be part of a group of divers who have been diving and training together for years. We live by the buddy system, and never take safety for granted. For example: A lot of us own a personal O2-kit, for emergencies. We won't be bringing those, however :wink:

We sail on the 16th. I promise a trip report if we return.

Beste Arthur,
Ik ben de manager van Easy Divers Sharm el Sheikh. Er varen hier veel live aboards vandaan en de prijs die jij krijgt is wel heel erg weining ook voor een basic liveaboard. Je krijgt het voor de helft van de prijs, maar de volledige prijs van 700 euro per week is ook belachelijk goedkoop. Wees dus erg voorzichtig want ik heb hier eens rondgevraagd en niemand kent de boot hier. En ed liveaboards hier kennen ook degene uit Hurghada en verder zuidelijker. Kijk ook of je bij aankomst niet ineens nog een boel moet bijbetalen. Als ik je ergens mee kan helpen laat het me dan weten.
groetjes,
Ewoutvan Walbeek
ewoutvanwalbeek@hotmail.com

ArthurGerla:
By the standards of any american, this one is really cheap :wink: we got it at half price, 350 euro per person for a week. I expect the accommodation to be basic, but hey, who cares? Frankly I don't see the advantage of gold-plated faucets and airconditioning throughout the ship if you're going to spend all day in the water and all night on deck as we intend to do.

Safety is another matter, of course. But in the end this comes down to training and a good buddy, not the ship.

Anyway, the site is back online, apparently they were moving it.

I agree that real N2 addicts will spend most of the time underwater- diving, and topside- talking about diving :D

IMHO, from a diver's point of view, one thing that is more important than the luxury of the ship is the condition and number of Zodiacs/Dinghis.
Im most of the divesites the ship will tie/anchor in a protected side of the reef (winds, waves) which can be quite far away from the spot where the dive begins.

The Zodiac ride to the "jump site" and back can consume quite a lot of time- perhaps you would like to make sure that the safari operator has enough boats, and are capable of taking the whole group in "one go". Because if they start going back and forth loading each time only 4-5 divers with a single rubber boat, you'll spend most of the day waiting for your ride. I had bad experience with operators being cheap on the Zodiacs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom