Wireless Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ogre

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been looking into Dive Computers and really like the idea of a wireless system but...... I have heard that the display can go blank when it is close to a camera flash. Has any one had this happen and if so was it your camera flash or a buddys. I was told that it did not harm the computer just disrupted the link for a second or two. I do not know what they were using or anything like that but the guy was an underwater camera guru and he said stay away from them. If any one could shine some light on this form me, thanks

That was the case in the 90's when they were introduced, over the last couple years I haven't heard any complaints of this.

That has never happened to me. And I have been on plenty of dives with photographers.

I have read numerous posts on this board and other boards as well that losing com link can happen....and has happened. A friend of mine has that style of computer and has experienced a com loss from time to time. That is the main reason I stay away from that style.....not to mention the much higher cost.

If you like that style, and dont think an occasional com loss is a big deal....then it may be the style for you. With my luck, I figure the com loss would come at the absolute worse time and that wouldnt be good.

Do more searches and see what you find. Good luck.

Yes, you will lose the link a few times a dive, especially if you dive with your hands crossed at your waist as many of us do. The connection simply doesn't work through your body. As for camera flashes, I use a camera all the time and have never noticed link issues while using a strobe.

No, it's not a big deal as it ALWAYS connects as soon as your hand comes up to look at your info. It really only takes about 1-2 seconds to connect again when it disconnects at all. Most of the time it doesn't even disconnect. All of the wireless computers I have used have done this from Suunto to Aeris. It doesn't matter what make or model.

All that said, if I had to do it over again, I would have saved over $400 bucks and just bought something simple, reliable, and cheap like an atmos 2. Not to mention saving another 100 bucks on the backup spg I bought to go with my wireless computer in the first place. Don't get me wrong, wireless is reliable, cool, and handy but when I am diving in 45degree water, with 5 feet of viz, and heavy current at 100fsw, my distrust of my wireless computer creeps in and I reach for my spg. Maybe I'm just the paranoid type but stress underwater does manifest itself in strange ways, lol!

A few other things I don't like about going from a console to a wireless wrist unit is now I have three pieces to watch out for (spg, wrist unit, and transmitter). A wireless unit has to be handled with care as it can break easily. Just wait until the boat DM grabs the transmitter unit while lifting your gear into the boat in Coz and it shatters. Two batteries now to keep track of, more failure points...

Some positives include being able to take my wrist unit to lunch but that can be done with quick disconnect consoles and other non wireless wrist units. Having my air info on my wrist isn't really a major plus as I dive more, especially when I reach for my spg for comfort. I'm trying to think of more positives but the only real positive is it's cool? Will I sell my computer soon? No, I have it now and am happy with it, as long as I have my backup spg. Enjoy and good luck with your purchase. The good news is you will have fun diving with it no matter what you choose!

I dive wireless but I keep my smart tec on a tiny slate attached to my bcd instead of on my wrist. If it weren't attached (much like my head) I fear I'd leave it back on the boat.

I am looking at the AERIS ELITE or the OCEANIC VT PRO and using the retractor and compass. I plan to have a spg also as a backup. "Better to be safe then sorry"

This is good information. I wasn't aware of the comm lose, and I was wondering how sturdy the transmitters where on the first stage.

wstein:
This is good information. I wasn't aware of the comm lose, and I was wondering how sturdy the transmitters where on the first stage.

With the new generation of transmitters, the comm loss is very low, and the whole computer does not go blank... in fact nothing goes blank... it will just flash 000 on the air for a few seconds until it links back up. And it has no effect on your nitrogen loading.... Just the air.

The transmitter simply transmits pressure (and the battery strength) and the whole computer part is in the wrist unit - so you can even dive it just as a wrist unit with no transmitter - you just don't get your air pressure on the unit that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom