Tom Sietas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm fairly new, just one previouis post clarifying 'pool based' records and 'frowning' upon urban legends, rumours and hearsay, e.g. 20 minute plus breathholds and gurus.

According to Tom Sietas' website (www.tomsietas.com), he was to do a 100% pure oxygen static attempt on HIS (not THE, so presumably it was a better attempt on his own, not a previous) world record - of 14' 15". It was either live or pre-recorded, on the (French?) TV programme, 'La soirée de l'étrange' last night (24th February 2006).

I have done a search, but can't find anything (on the web, news or group chat/blogs) other than a few photo's without captions of his attempt on the TV programme website.

Did anyone see it or does anyone have any more details? Was it live or pre-recorded? Was it an attempt on his 14' 15" record or was it THE 14'' 15" record or another failure/success?

Any update would be gladly and appreciatably received here and at stephen.owen@gmail.com

Steve

Welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Click [thread=91105]here[/thread] for ScubaBoard 101: [thread=91105]A beginner's guide to the ScubaBoard.Com forums[/thread].

Don’t forget to fill out your Public Profile (and Dive Info) on one of your next surface intervals so we can get to know you a little bit better. Besides, it will make it easier for us to answer your questions. Please, do add a Profile Pic. If you’re not in a particularly creative mood, you can have a look at my Public Profile for inspiration.

My best would be this forum: ScubaBoard > Scuba Diving Central > Freediving / Snorkeling.

Any other questions? Just click this link: Send me a PM!

Laurens

This message brought to you by GreetBot R/2

Howdy and Weclome to SB!
action-smiley-030.gif

Good to have you join us. PM me from the link below if I can help you find your way.

Browse our forums and check them out. :thumb:

medium-smiley-051.gif
don

smiley-linie-004.gif

scepticchristian:
Hi all.
I'm fairly new, just one previouis post clarifying 'pool based' records and 'frowning' upon urban legends, rumours and hearsay, e.g. 20 minute plus breathholds and gurus.

According to Tom Sietas' website (www.tomsietas.com), he was to do a 100% pure oxygen static attempt on HIS (not THE, so presumably it was a better attempt on his own, not a previous) world record - of 14' 15". It was either live or pre-recorded, on the (French?) TV programme, 'La soirée de l'étrange' last night (24th February 2006).

I have done a search, but can't find anything (on the web, news or group chat/blogs) other than a few photo's without captions of his attempt on the TV programme website.

Did anyone see it or does anyone have any more details? Was it live or pre-recorded? Was it an attempt on his 14' 15" record or was it THE 14'' 15" record or another failure/success?

Any update would be gladly and appreciatably received here and at stephen.owen@gmail.com

Steve

Welcome to SB...

The longest I could find was...:D
http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/long56.html

welcome to scuba board

Apparently I'm on the wrong thread. Would anyone able to help with my questions please search for the 'Tom Sietas' thread on a more appropriate forum, not in the welcome forum. Any future responses to my questions in here will be addressed there. Thanks.

Dear Paul (Christenson).
Were these really 'the best' you could find Paul? Are you aware of the 'Guinness Book of World Records' or the freediving organisation 'AIDA'? Both are major authorities and logical initial places to look for such records. Maybe this site is more for subaqua diving than freediving, in which case you may not be aware of this, in which case sorry. The references you gave were actually both wrong though too.

Please do not feel I have not appreciated your welcome or help though Paul!

For the record (as I mentioned, I have a 'thing' about rumour, error, urban myths and exaggeration):

The first record you mentioned (static apnea breath holding on pure oxygen) was a minute short of the record set decades previously by Robert Foster. Tom Sietas did 14'15" in recent months, (and I'm trying to find out if he beat this again recently) so the claimed record you mentioned from that long named site (which seems to be both erroneaus and neglected with regard to updates in recent years) was well short of any record, and never actually a record because better times had been achieved well before that. Previous versions of the Guinness Book of Records offer fuller details of time, date and place for this, but nowadays, often because of space and danger to life, many records are simply not recorded/recognised here.

The second record (no oxygen, just holding your breath under water after breathing air - also known as 'static apnea') was well beaten too. Tom Sietas (again) did 8'58" some time ago and has a (claimed, possibly videod) 10'08" in practice. The record of 8'06" you mentioned was a record, but it is now well out of date (i.e. from the date you searched yesterday). Tom Sietas, as well as holding these 2 static world records, also holds the 2 dynamic apnea records - Swimming underwater horizontally, typically in a 25 or 50m pool as far as you can, one with and one without fins. See AIDA for details.

With kind regards for showing this anyway Paul. Take care,

Steve

scepticchristian:
Apparently I'm on the wrong thread. Would anyone able to help with my questions please search for the 'Tom Sietas' thread on a more appropriate forum, not in the welcome forum. Any future responses to my questions in here will be addressed there. Thanks.

Dear Paul (Christenson).
Are you aware of the 'Guinness Book of World Records' or the freediving organisation 'AIDA'? Both are major authorities and logical initial places to look for such records. Maybe this site is more for subaqua diving than freediving, in which case you may not be aware of this, in which case sorry. The references you gave were actually both wrong though too.

Steve

Well just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet...:D

Good luck on YOUR search...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom