Buying computers at LDS vs. internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbanks78

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Forgive me if this thread has been posted more than once as I am still fairly new to the boards, but I wanted to buy a computer non AI (i.e. Suunto Vyper console computer) and I was curious about warranties, etc...

In terms of computers, is it worth spending the retail price at a LDS in order to receive a full manufacture's warranty or in terms of stuff like this buying over the internet is just as safe and at the same time saving some money.

Thanks.

Rob

Well, there ARE vendors on the internet that DO have actual manufacturer warrantees. But, after my last experience....I will buy from an LDS for sure.
Hope yours is better.

I bought my computer through my LDS. Just the other day, I looked online, and found that the price from the LDS was only a few dollars more. With the added security of a place to take it with problems, it's well worth it in my book.

Hope you find what you want.

I'm glad I bought my computer from my LDS. It flooded a couple of weeks ago (a button fell off during a dive!), and when I brought it in, I got a loaner from my LDS, which they needed to attach to my reg since my computer was air-integrated. They sent it back to the manufacturer immediately, and I got a call a week later saying that a replacement computer had come in.

Hopefully, your computer will last a long time (this happened after 4 months and ~40 dives), but in case it doesn't, it's nice to have the extra support from the LDS.

Generally speaking, you should expect more support from your LDS than from an internet retailer. There are clear exception on both sides. You need to look at the price difference in your case and decide whether that is worth the expected extra support. If you are buying a computer with a reputation for problems, you might want to favor an LDS. I've bought 4 computers, three from the internet and one from an LDS. No problems with any of them. I payed more than I should have for the one from the LDS.

I bought mine from my LDS. They had to bring one in from a different store. It was there within a week. As I was looking at it, I relaized that it had dives on it already, warm water dives mind you. After further investigation, it was determined that it was used and had been returned. No problem, since I was in the store where I purchased it, I got a new one ordered. The manager of the store let me use his, same model I purchased, until mine came in.

I know for a fact that if that same used one had arrived in my mail box from an online vendor, that there would have been no way that I would have gotten a new one. And do you think that the owner of the online place would have let me use his/hers until mine came? I don't think so.

Also, lots of these warranties that the online stores are offering aren't real warranties. When you end up needing work done, it will cost you an arm and a leg to get work done on it.

Bottom line - support your local dive store. It is well worth it.

Tim
LDS supporter

Somebody had to know there were dives on that computer. Somebody in my mind was less than honest.

Make sure the online company is an authorized dealer then it will depend on the price difference.

My LDS actually runs a classroom session on how to use your computer in all its various modes free for anyone who has purchased the computer from them.

Back
Top Bottom