Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M60

Registered
Reaction score
Good evening; I was hoping some divers here could give me their impressions about "diving Snorkels." Name? This piece of equipment sends air down and it seems it would be good for hull cleaning, scalloping, clams, shallow water recovery work and the like. I understand about the need to watch your down time and depth. Any opinions and advice would be helpful. Thanks M60

You must be refering to a surface supplied system. They can have a comperssor or a storage cylinder but diver goes down connected by a hose, sometimes refered to as a hookah rig.

The bottom line is that you can have a serious injury breathing compressed air in as little as 4 feet or water. There are some watered down courses offered to use these things but by the same token cleaning the bottom of a boat is often considered hazardous work for a scuba diver.

Before breathing compressed air underwater I suggest you take and complete an open water scuba course. Then if a surface supplied system is suited to your needs you will be well grounded in what you are doing.

When you are underwater and you need to breathe there are no easy answers.

Pete

I used to be a hull cleaner, and the work isnt as dangerous as people say it is. To me it is actually fun work that pays really good. The compressor is really hard to breathe out of at first but you get used to it after awhile. But when you come up out of the water there is sometimes a bad taste in your mouth and thats about it. If you are looking to buy one you should see how far down the one you want can pump air so you don't go too far down, Because if you buy a compressor that only pumps air up to 60 feet and you go 90 then my friend your S.O.L

Evil

Thanks everyone; I have completed an open water course. I would not care to dive much past thirt feet with one of these rigs. Hookah. I want to use it for hulls, scallops, clams and lobster in shallow water. Keep a good surface interval discipline, in spite of the manufacturer's claims, and save my tanks for deeper water. I really do appreciate your input. I wish you both well....Harlow Geronimo

Thanks for the input. I have completed a open water course and have a good understanding of depth and surface intervals and why we need them. I can only dive to 66 feet now because of a medical implant. I was primarily interested in shallow water work and hunting. Clams, scallops and lobster. Maybe clean a hull. Most of the dive's would probably be in 12 feet or less. I would maintain surface interval's, inspite of manufacturer's claims, to protect myself. Again thanks....I wish you well....M60

That's the way to go, congratulations. I would like to try a surface supplied system someday in the right place. It sounds like a unique freedom.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom