Coolpix 5000 - housing needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean Sanberg

Reaction score
I own a Coolpix 5000 and want to start underwater digital photography. It appears the housing is extremely expensive - or maybe unavailable now, based on my internet searching. Do I go with a newer camera/housing setup since underwater photography is new to me? Are there cheap used housings for this camera in the market? I'm not very accomplished with the 5000 anyway, so could probably go with something simple. Thanks for any advise.

Hi Dean,

I use the Nikon Coolpix 500 myself. I ahve some good news and some bad news. First the good news. The system works very well U/W and is not too difficult to operate. Now the bad news. The ONLY housing I could find for it was from Ikelite. It is VERY expensive, as much as the camera or more. I bought the camera based on its specs and performance, then found out about the lack of housings. I have used it on many dives and found it to be just fine. If you need anything else, please let me knbow.

DSDO

Aeolus:
Hi Dean,

I use the Nikon Coolpix 500 myself. I ahve some good news and some bad news. First the good news. The system works very well U/W and is not too difficult to operate. Now the bad news. The ONLY housing I could find for it was from Ikelite. It is VERY expensive, as much as the camera or more. I bought the camera based on its specs and performance, then found out about the lack of housings. I have used it on many dives and found it to be just fine. If you need anything else, please let me knbow.

DSDO
Please check the link below for another source of Nikon Coolpix 5000 camera housing:

http://www.aquatica.ca/index1.html

Cheers,

Terry

oldpeanut:
Please check the link below for another source of Nikon Coolpix 5000 camera housing:

http://www.aquatica.ca/index1.html

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks for the link Terry. That housing is even more expensive than the Ikelite, however. It also is not clear lexan, which allows one to see if the o-ring is sealed prior to the dive and also gives an early indication of a leak/flood. Knock on wood, that has not happened as yet.

DSDO

Thanks for the feedback. These housings are just too expensive. Do you know anything about the Nikon Coolpix 5900? It appears I can get a camera and housing for about $350.00. I guess I would use my 5000 on land.
Dean

I'm currently using a Nikon 7900 (5900's big brother) (7mp vs 5mp) in a Fantasea housing. I'm quite satisified with the setup. Check out my pictures in my gallery. They were all taken in Jan this year using the Nikon7900/fantasea housing. Even the videos. The original videos are 640by480 in size and look awsome. I just bought the Fantasea tray/arms/Sunpak flash/40LEd light setup for the camera and so far pool tests are good. I'm back to he Bahamas in May to get some more shots.

The 7900 seems like a better value than the 5900, anyway. Thanks for the tip, Steve. I plan to begin my underwater photography with this setup.

I have the Ikelite housing and strobe with travel case. I'll take $600.00 for everything. The strobe cost more than that.
You can call me at my shop 800-771-2763 or my cell is 352-613-2760.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom