Nikonos macro photograpy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
On the beach in Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
Hi,

I just bought some extension tubes. I am new to Macro photography.

My thoughts were to keep my Nikonos V setup for wide angle and have my older Nikonos IV setup for macro.

Any thoughts/comments on which system I should use for macro...

I could shoot on Manual with my Nikonos IV-A with SB-101 strobe.
I could shoot TTL with my Nikonos V with SB-105 strobe.

Will the Nikonos V with TTL give better results? It seems like the strobe to frame distance would be important when shooting manual but with TTL it may not matter so much?

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

Hi Chris,

When you shoot macro with either Nikonos IV or V with extension tubes and SB-105 strobe, you can set the strobe at TTL for average reflective subjects. For the dark subjects such as a black star fish, TTL strobe exposure might result in grey star fish. And light subject such as a white sea anenome might turn out as grey sea anenome. Since the extension tube macro photography set up has a fixed distance from film plan to subject, you can shoot manual without any problem.

Just load your Nikonos camera (either IV or V) with a roll of fine grain slide film (Fujichrome Velvia), set your 35mm f/2.5 W-Nikkor Lens at 0.8 M or your 28mm f/3.5 UW-Nikkor Lens at 0.6 M, set the lens aperture to f/22 and set your SB-105 at full power, 1/4 power and 1/16 power and shoot your macro photos. Remember to record all the data such as frame number, strobe to subject distance (because you can change the strobe positions related to subject) and power ratio on the slate. After you have the slide film processed, check the slides to see which combination give you the best result and stick with that set up for the future shoot out.

I don't recommend use of your SB-101 strobe because its color temperature is a little bit too high, in addition, the strobe tends to give you a hot spot. SB-105 is a much better strobe with warmer color temperature and very even illumination. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Terry

I shot with the Nikonos V and a 28MM with Helix Macro extension tubes/framer since 1987. I used the Nikonos 105 strobe (formerly the 103 until Nikon did the recall) and did mostly TTL. Strobe angle on macro with the tubes is a bit tricky. Too little angle and your subject gets totally top lit. Too shallow an angle and you can catch the curve of the extension tubes and block a portion of your flash.

Took me a while but finally mastered it and have some great shots.

Nothing stays the same though ...and this year I'm making the leap to digital. Headed out next week to Belize on the Nekton for what should be a great new experience.

'Slogger

charris400:
Hi,

I just bought some extension tubes. I am new to Macro photography.

My thoughts were to keep my Nikonos V setup for wide angle and have my older Nikonos IV setup for macro.

Any thoughts/comments on which system I should use for macro...

I could shoot on Manual with my Nikonos IV-A with SB-101 strobe.
I could shoot TTL with my Nikonos V with SB-105 strobe.

Will the Nikonos V with TTL give better results? It seems like the strobe to frame distance would be important when shooting manual but with TTL it may not matter so much?

Thanks in advance.
-Chris
===================================================

My experience is all TTL with the SB105. You're SO close with tubes and most likely you are using slow film (ISO 50 or less) that you really don't have a lot of leeway. I have gotten phenomenal shots using the TTL. Light angle will be your biggest challenge at that close distance.

'Slogger

charris400:
Thanks for the great replies!

I will try both TTL and manual on the Nikonos V. I have been on the fence about selling my Nikonos IV & SB-101 but I think the time has come to trade that system in.
-Chris
==========================================

I was faced with the same decision a little over a year ago. After 20+ years with the Nikonos on every dive I made the time came to move into the digital realm. It was getting harder and harder to find a dependable E-6 lab and then there was "the wait" after a dive trip to view your shots.

Best of luck on your transition. I still have my entire Nikonos V set up in its hard case. Thought I had it sold but the buyer vanished.

'Slogger

Thanks all for the replies. Since creating this thread I have upgraded to a Nikon D70s, Ike housing with DS-125 strobe.
Although I love the old Nikonos systems I really like the instant feedback that digital has to offer and I like not having to deal with film processing. The only downside that I have with digital is the bulkiness of the housing compared to the Nikonos. I do mostly freediving and although carrying a housed camera is doable... the housing is a bit bulky compared to the Nikonos systems.

Margery Mullett:
I have a 103. What was the recall?

If you have a Nikonos SB-103, you may want to Contact Nikon Service Center in your area and arrange a replacement of SB-105 for your current SB-103. The Nikonos SB-103 has potential problem of exploding underwater. I don't know if this recall is still effective or not.

But I think it's no harm to contact your local Nikon Service Center.

Best regards,

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom