Best way to mount a compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used to use the Suunto combo console, which has a compass on the end, beyond the computer. That was "OK," but when I worked hard to get the compass card level while navigating, I found the HP hose was restraining me. So I've now removed the compass piece from the console and have remounted the compass in a DSS-provided Suunto compass housing. Now I'll be able to try my luck navigating with a wrist-mounted compass. But if it starts to get banged or snagged during wreck dives, I might need another approach, like fishing a compass on a lanyard out of a pocket.

What works for you when you're navigating? Do you use your compass frequently? When you use it is it mostly for general direction-finding or precision navigation?

I'm happy with mine in a Suunto console, but I tend to use it just occasionally for general direction, as I can rely on natural nav most places I dive. If I needed to do more serious navigation the console mount would probably be a pain.

The DSS boot and having it on your wrist are the only way , i use my compass all the time thru the dive

My watch is on the wrist, next comes the compass on a boot and next is the computer, all in my left arm, I use them all the time during the dive, are very easy to access and have never had a problem with them in that location.

Mandy3206:
My watch is on the wrist, next comes the compass on a boot and next is the computer, all in my left arm, I use them all the time during the dive, are very easy to access and have never had a problem with them in that location.

Totally agree with that.

Any way that works for you is the right way.... for you.

I have the Genesis 3 spot inline console with the compas canted at an angle. I use cardinal point navigation which means I always watch it from above and it works fine for me. I did swap the 36 inch hose for a 42 inch to let it reach the most comfortable position. When navigating I dive with my elbow tucked in by my left ribs.

While it's very popular I don't care you the wrist position, let alone the classic crossed arm method.

Pete

I have mine on my left wrist with two bungees. When I'm in a wreck or reaching under rocks for lobsters I turn the compass to the underside of my wrist where it won't catch on anything.

Back
Top Bottom