Gulf State Pier; Gulf Shores, AL Dive Report 2-28-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got to West Pass in Gulf Shores around 2PM and started setting up the Miss Jellyfish and loaded her up with 2 sets of dive gear, icechest, speargat, polespear, a dive buddy(Mikey Paul), and I hopped on in as the captain around 3PM to head out.

Air temps in the mid 60ºF and clear skies, a bit of wind coming out the south while the tides were heading in. Shin/knee high waves coming out of the pass and 1-1.5' choppy seas off the beach. We were planed out for about half the trip, the other half we fought the chop under a fully loaded boat. Probably took 30min to head ~4miles from West Pass to get to the Gulf State Pier. We anchored between the large fishing section remains and the next closest set of pilings. There was another fishing boat just South of the remaining fishing section of the pier.

Water temp at 62ºF and I had a max depth of 13' for a 40 minute dive. Last spring I maxed at 20' and ~15' at this site over last summer. Hopefully, the sand won't keep filling in now that the dredging seems to have stopped. I ditched the speargun early as we didn't seen anything big. Mikey took a large sheepshead and I took a smaller one with the polespear. Aside from the sheepshead, there were several schools of baitfish, a few blennies out, a few small mangroves, and a school of another fish under some layed out pilings that I couldn't identify. Vis averaged between 5-10' with some areas upwards of 15' and as low as 2'. Found an anchor, frisbee, and telephone.

Choppy ride back to West Pass, but we made it before sundown and had the boat packed away by 6:30PM.

All in all, we had a great dive. Gonna get out there a bit earlier next time I think... Can't wait for the flounder to start running shallow again.

Matt

Do you eat Sheephead?????????

TT

Tom Smedley:
Matt

TT
Sheepshead ain't bad. Especially fresh.
Rick

Tom Smedley:
Matt

TT

Rick Murchison:
Sheepshead ain't bad. Especially fresh.
Rick

Yep, I eat em :) Half the time I mix em in with Flounder and can't figure out which is which after its cooked and on the plate.

Flaky white meat and oh-so yummy.

PITA to clean though...

I always heard that it cooks apart, that you have to wrap it in cheesecloth. Seems like it is a cousin of the Redfish that Paul Prudhomme made so famous when he burned one.

Tom Smedley:
I always heard that it cooks apart, that you have to wrap it in cheesecloth. Seems like it is a cousin of the Redfish that Paul Prudhomme made so famous when he burned one.
Like mullet, fresh is the key. Fresh they're wonderful; I wouldn't buy one in a fish market.
Just an aside... back when I was a teenager (only slightly more recent than when Tommy was a teenager) we used to snag sheepshead with snatch-hooks off the Gulf State Park pier. They have big, thick scales that were really tough to penetrate, and more often than not you'd bring up a snatch hook with a single scale on it. Once my buddy told me "I do think we've caught enough scales to build a fish!"
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom