Tobermory liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doc6464

Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from a 5 day stay on the DAWNLIGHT liveaboard out of Tobermory. We got in 16 dives including 5 on the NORTHWIND. This was a fantastic wreck diving trip. Everyone had a good time. We dove the NORTHWIND, EMMA THOMPSON, NIAGRA II, WILMA ANN, CITY OF CLEVELAND, INDIA, CAROLINE ROSE, SAN JACINTO, and a few others. Can't wait to go back next year.

Yo, Doc,
We just got info on the Dawnlight. Would you be good enough to share further info? How was the boat? Captain? Food? What did you take you shouldn't have? What did you not take you needed? Please, please. Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry for the late response, but we have been moving.

The Dawlight is an old tug. It has been set up with two staterooms-6 bunks in from and 4 in the back. It is a bit cramped but not uncomfortable. We had 5 on our trip so everyone had a bunk for their stuff and a bunk to sleep on. I don't know if I would like to be on the boat when it is at full capacity, but people I know who have been say it is not too bad.

The food is not gourmet, but very good and there is plenty of it. There is plenty of bottled water and soda. They have fruit for in between dives. Bring snacks if you are like me and want junk food for your surface intervals.

Bring your own bedding. I brought a sleeping bag and pillow which worked out well.

It was a bit chilly at night so don't forget a sweat shirt. Pack lightly, room is at a premium. I took way too many clothes.

As far as equipment, I took my double 95's,argon bottle, stage bottle, drysuit, wings backplate, computer, fins, reels, lift bag, etc. Basic wreck diving stuff. I brought a spare mask. Our group also brought a spare computer and drysuit. I also brought my laptop with decoplanner on it to make tables.

If you want to use nitrox, make sure someone in your group is a certified blender. If you ask in advance, there will be lots of O2 for blending, but you must blend it yourself. Don't forget your O2 whip. We also requested argon for the week. I used nitrox on every dive and 100% o2 in my stage and my O2 bill for the week was about $30. The argon was another $25.

Captain Ray is very knowledgable about the wrecks. He is a diver and has been on all the wrecks that you go to. The crew consists of him and Riccy. They put in long hours to make sure everything gets done.

Do not miss the NORTHWIND. It is a long haul to get there, but worth the trip. There are a lot of places to poke into. We did 5 dives on it and didn't go everywhere on the ship.

On dives below 100 feet you must have a redundant regulator.
There is O2 on the boat and a chase boat in case you get blown off the wreck and need to be picked up away from the Dawnlight.

Hope this helps. It is not a luxury cruise by any means, but if you want to dive a lot of wrecks, this is the way to go.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom