Need Dive Computer Recommendation for My Needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I dive sporadically in both cold (dry suit - Canada) and warm water (shorty - Caribbean). One year I may take a one week dive trip and dive several other days for a total of 20-40 dives, the next I may dive less than 10 times. I always borrow my buddies extra BC, Reg, and Tanks as I never thought I dived enough to warrant the investment and I hate lugging all the equpiment on/off the plane (I'll rent, or my buddy will put everything in one bag.) I will ocassionally dive Nitrox but usually air, and usually stay within the decompression limits.

One thing I've missed having is my own dive computer, one that I'm familiar with and feel comfortable using as oppose to borrowing/renting one I am unfamiliar with or that is limited in features (doesn't do Nitrox or Deco stop calculation, etc.) I've got money to spend, $600 or $700 is a moderately expensive purchase for me. But I also don't like to waste money on things I don't get good use out of.

I've read up on some of the dive computers. The hoseless air pressure feature is intriguing as I like the simplicity of data in one spot, and I especially like the Total Dive Time feature of the Aeris Atmos Elite which factors in consumption rate amongst other things. But I think I would definitely use a spare pressure gauge on a short hose so if the transmitter went whacky I wouldn't have to abort the dive.

The first basic question that comes to mind is based on my needs and diving profile, am I waisting money on a hoseless computer and if so, what would someone recommend as the best value for a wrist computer that doesn't read tank pressure or should I just buy one that has the hoseless transmitter as an option and pick that up later if I start diving more often?

My second question is, if say half the time I'm doing boat trips that include rental of my BC, reg, and tanks (as opposed to using my buddies stuff), will they not want me to be reconfiguring the reg to have a SPG on a short hose on one HP port and the transmitter on another and/or is there a chance there may not even be enough HP ports on the Reg to accomodate both? (I can hear the replies now - buy your own Reg!)

My last question is, based on what I've read, the Oceanic VT Pro or Aeris Atoms Elite are the best buys for hoseless. If I purchased either of those, is there any difficulty with the operation if I elect NOT to install the hoseless PG on some dives and just use the analog PG?

I like the total dive time calc the Aeris has though so I think I'd prefer that. The smaller size of the Atom sounds intriguing but it is unclear if it is as usable/reliable as the Atmos? Is the trend to go smaller and the Atmos is just a sign of things to come? I hear the Atmos 1.0 doesn't display PSI on the main screen (2.0 does) do the VT Pro or Atmos Elite display PSI on the main screen?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

There are pros and cons to wrist vs. console computers. In your situation I think I would stick with a wrist computer rather than planning on messing with hoses on rental and borrowed regs all the time. If you really want air integrated, get one capable of wireless, as far as I know you can usually add the transmitter later. If it's ever a problem putting that on some reg, well you just don't and not much lost. I think air integrated computers (hoseless or otherwise) are amusing but far from necessary toys. To me never been worth the money, and I've owned 4 different computers.

You can certainly get a perfectly good Nitrox capable non-AI wrist computer for much less than $6-700. For that you can almost get the computer and your own reg... hey, you knew it was coming. :)

i woudl go wrist, like Damselfish. much more portable. also,
i really don't like the bulky consoles. also, i can keep an eye
on my wrist computer while ascending the whole time.

Air-integrated just shoots the cost up, and i don't see any real benefit.
all you're doing is adding a significant failure point (the transmitter).

i would go with a simple, efficient, no-nonsense computer able to handle
both Nitrox and Air.

One such computer (one i own and love) is the Aeris Atmos 2:

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos2Wrist

(if you buy from ScubaToys, ask for your ScubaBoard discount)

you can also check Ebay. they show up there all the time.

finally, i have a used one i am selling. it's well-used and it looks it,
but it works beautifully.

I should clarify I was referring to the Atom not the Atmos at the end of my post as a sign of these to come (smaller computers?)

Go with the Suunto Vytec or D9 if you have the money. You can use it w/o the transmitter and you can get it later on when you have your own reg. I own a Vyper (not AI) and a D9 (with transmitter for Air Integration) and they are the best computers on the market.

The Vytec has bigger buttons which is perfect for cold water (gloves) diving.

Cheers.

-J.-

My advice is based in my own experience, i use a Sunnto Cobra air integrated, and i have to say i love it, now looks like every one likes the wrist computers, i'm ny case i do not mind having the computer attached to a hose, i always bring my regulator with me when on vacation, i may leave BC and suit home but one thing that is always with me in my carry on is my reg (Legend LX Very good for cold weather) i got a back pack from rapid diver and is what i use as reg bag so i never separate from it, i been very unlucky lately with my bags in the airport that is why i do it this way.

Hope my advice will help you to make up your mind.

Regards,
Rafael

Well it looks like the 4 clear leaders if I want a wrist mount that I can add a wireless transmitter to later are the Oceanic Atmos Elite, Atom, and the Suunto Vytec or D9.

One thing is I like the computers that also have watch functions and are very compact because I have a smaller than average man's wrist and it is very convenient to be able to put the dive computer on in the morning before a dive and wear it as a watch the rest of the day.

The D9 is definitely the Cadillac of Wrist Computers and the price shows it - geez! I'm afraid only a used one without a transmitter would be in my budget and those seem to be very rare on Ebay if at all since it is so new. Plus: Digital Compass - one more instrument to consolidate, Mineral Crystal Glass this thing is LOADED! Only downside (besides price) - have to send it in to change batteries.

The Vytec seems like an excellent unit, but unfortunately it can't really double as a watch - too big.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Oceanic Atom for several reasons. First of all, the Oceanic may not be as high-end as the D9 but the D9 frankly has a lot of features I'd never used. It's small enough to be worn as a watch. And best of all it is a heck of a lot cheaper than Suunto. What's with with Suuntos being so expensive? The only downside I can think of with the Atom is that I've seen more posts about it periodically losing transmission where the Suuntos appear to be slight more reliable with the wireless transmission???

What's the best value compact wrist computer without the hoseless PG option out there? I can get a Citizen NX at dealer cost. Would do the basic job. Can double as a watch, but didn't get the best reviews.

After further thought, I don't think I'm going to need to have the thing double as a watch. Realistically I'm going to take the thing off and put a normal watch on. It really looks there are three best choices after reading everything here I could find is either a) the cheap route: a Suunto Mosquito - fine for my needs, will fit my small wrists well, but I'm a little concerned about reliability problems and how well it will perform when I do darker, cold-water diving up here in the Northwest wearing thick gloves, OR, b) Suunto Vytech - as far as size it seems to be in the mid-range for wrist mounted computers? This has the least negative comments of any wrist computer discussed here - seems like a sure winner (I'll hit the store tomorrow to actually see one.), OR c) Oceanic Atom - I'm really curious for a advanced rec diver, what the Vytec offers that is siginificantly better than the Atom?? Seems like the Atom has comparable features but smaller?

I started with an air integrated hoseless (sender) computer and sold it within the first year when it stopped meeting my needs. I now use a diverite wrist mounted non-air integrated computer.

I suggest a much less expensive wrist mounted nitrox computer and a good regulator set. You should be able to get both for around $700.

If you have any interest in technical diving at all you'll want to stay away from air integrated (hose or hoseless) computers. (There are probably two or three people here that will disagree with this, but the vast majority of us are using wrist mounted computers or timers and do not trust hoseless air integration).

Hi,

If you're diving (occasionally) with a thick suit, don't get a dive computer that is too small. Watch-style DC's are less suitable. The most important thing is that you can easily drag along with you all over the world.
Hoseless DC's are no fun when renting a reg. They won't let you modify the 1st stage, I can imagine.

Aeris is very OK, Oceanic too (same brand actually) and Suunto. Nice wrist mounted, hockey puck style computers that are easy to operate. Atmos 2, Veo 250, Vyper. All Nitrox, all deco capable. And all large enough to fit around a thick suit too.
Air only isn't worth it. A watch style: buy a real classy one, if you like watches (I do :) ).

Melle

Back
Top Bottom