Hooray for tax refunds!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironcat

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I can afford to buy some decent gear. I realize that as my diving experience grows and my diving skills progress I will probably want (and possibly even need) to change my gear for better stuff... however I have the option to start with some semi decent stuff from the get go. I know everyone says to rent first but it's hard to go into a dive shop and say "I'd like to use your Mares Abyss for the day."
Here's what I am looking at and where I would like a little advice / direction.

A : Regulator : This is my lifeline right? So I figure this should be numero uno. I welcome any thoughts but here is what I have found so far. I have it narrowed to 3.
Sherwood: I hear they are simple to use, hard to kill, and last forever... but once you get deeper they are like sucking though a straw.
Mares: Again, simple to use and hard to kill, I like the design and asthetics, but I have heard they are heavy and breathe funny when you go upside down or whatnot.
Aqualung: Is the free parts for for life worth the initial cost?

B : Octopus : I have absolutely no idea... do I just go with the same brand as my reg?

C : Computer / console : I got to play with a few of them (out of the water) and my choice so far is the Aeris Atmos 2. It is not AI but it is a lot cheaper than the AI setups. And besides if your AI computer goes out yer screwed but non AI you still have gauges?

My wife and I dive Sherwoods and they breathe fine. We've been down close to 80 feet in cold water had really didn't notice any degradation in performance. Before buying ours I asked the same question and many owners told me this is a on issue for recrational divers. My wife has mild controled asthma and she likes hers fine.We have Blizzards, if you have no cold water plans the Oasis would be a nice choice. If you want bells and whistles get the Maximus.

In terms of diving beyond recreational ranges there is flow bench data that shows there are better DEEP water performers, that is fact.

For your alternate we have the Sherwood Standards and they get the job done. Staying with the same brand will make life easier at service time. I'm not a fan of alternate/inflator combos like the AIR-2.

Computer. I agree in wanting analog depth and pressure instruments. I don't see the point in air integrated, let alone wireless, keep it simple. I have a brain and like to exercise it. I hear good things about the Atmos2 and the closeout prices are nice. I am in the market but have not bought yet.

Pete

The top end Aqualungs are good, but expensive. I use the Apeks (now owned by Aqualung) DS4 ATX 50. In my opinion, don't cheap out on your occto. Two reasons, one- if and when it comes around, that "cheap" occto is going to be needed to save somone's arse...maybe yours. Two, you can swap them out during the season to keep them both working up to par, and know for sure that it still works well.

I have a Dive Rite G2500Ice, it is environmentally sealed, has vyton o-rings that result in a service interval of every 2 years (or every so many dives--can't remember but it's a big number) instead of annually and I believe the parts are free for life (I know I was told by the shop I only had to pay for labor). In Florida you wouldn't really need the upgrade to the Ice version :) I have a compact console and like it a LOT better than the regular size bulky ones. A compact console costs more but it's worth it no matter what the brand. Personally I prefer a wrist mount computer, it's easier to take it to dinner to fill out my logbook. I tell my students who are looking at computers to get the quick disconnect if they aren't going with a wrist version for the same reason.
Ber :lilbunny:

What's a "tax refund"?

I'm not familiar with the concept!

:)

It's money that you loan to the government interest free so they can charge you income tax on it the year after they pay off the loan :D

Hi Ironcat,

If you are interested, I have a slightly used Aqualung Legend LX for sale. Pm me if you are interested.

Cheers,

SangP

Ironcat:
C : Computer / console : I got to play with a few of them (out of the water) and my choice so far is the Aeris Atmos 2. It is not AI but it is a lot cheaper than the AI setups. And besides if your AI computer goes out yer screwed but non AI you still have gauges?

I went with the Aeris AI because I like the information an AI computer gives me while diving. With a non-AI wrist computer I still have to have an SPG and compass. I'd much rather have all of my information on one console to reduce my task loading, so I purchased an AI with a quick disconnect and compass attached. I can hold my computer in my hand and see air remaining, time remaining, depth, and my compass all at one time without fumbling for different consoles.

I would definitely recommend the quick disconnect feature for any AI computer though. Keeps it from getting knocked around and makes safe keeping much easier. Plus on a liveaboard I could disconnect my computer at the end of the day and take it on deck or to my cabin to transfer data to my logbook.

Oh yeah, it doesn't matter if you dive with an AI or not...if your computer goes out you should be heading for the surface immediately anyway IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom