I have a question that you could answer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amber

Contributor
Reaction score
What are the requirements to become a certified cave diver? I'm sure there is an age limit...do I have to have a certain number of logged dives? Any suggestions on when I should take the class?

Thanks,
Amber

Thank you Roaky. Those sites were infomative. But why are the requirments different? The GUE cert seems A LOT tougher. The other two don't even say they have an age requirement. I think I'd rather go with the tougher one. GUE seems like they are really diligant about their students being well trained and safe cavern divers.

Thank you again,
Amber

NACD and NSS do have age requirements. What, exactly, did you see that makes one agency sound tougher than the other? All three have trained very occomplished cave divers. IMO, all three have some great instructors. Do you think an age requirement will be a problem for you? Age is not always a reliable indicator of maturity but maturity is a requirement for cave diving. Then...there are the issues of liability.

Amber,
After looking at your profile I would say it's a little soon to be jumping into cave diving. However, I would suggest getting to know some cave divers/instructors. This should be easy since you are in Fl. An open water instructor who is a cave diver or cave instructor can help get your skills on track. This may help avoid the development of bad habits and techniques and having to relearn everything over. It may also help you decide if you are really interested in cave diving. Cave diving is not for everyone.

Mike

Amber once bubbled...
The other two don't even say they have an age requirement.

From the NSS-CDS website

MINIMUM AGE:

The minimum age for participation in an NSS-CDS Full Cave Diver training course is eighteen (18) years old.

I think I'd rather go with the tougher one. GUE seems like they are really diligant about their students being well trained and safe cavern divers.

All three agencies can teach you to be an excellent and safe cave diver, if you find the right instructor. I am certified through NSS-CDS, but plan on taking the GUE cave classes also. Why? Because I feel the more "training" I can recieve, the better diver I can become. I feel my NSS-CDS instructor was excellent, and would highly recommend him. I am sure I will feel the same about my GUE instructor, whoever that may be.

I noticed one thing, you have said both cave, and cavern. Are you simply wanting to become a cavern diver?

Amber,

The websites can be a pretty good source of information but your best bet is to come down(or up) and dive.

I took my first trip to the springs about 4 years ago. I really enjoyed it. It was all open water springs diving with a couple of large caverns that had big lines in it. ie Blue springs, Devils Den, Paradise Springs.

Then came back to do an NSS/PADI Cavern class. It made all of my diving easier.

A couple of months later, I needed to get the next level because my reel line was more like a leash.

I then moved up there was able to meet and dive with a variety of people. Also watching the courses train and debrief was great.

I decided to continue my training with GUE because of a couple of reasons:
-Team work oriented
-no smokers
-fitness test(swim and breathhold)
-instructors that are part of exploration team.
-equipment was standardized
-I went diving with a diver that completed their course

Everyone has their own motivations for going diving. I just enjoy this style of diving more than the others.

Amber once bubbled...
Thank you Roaky. Those sites were infomative. But why are the requirments different? The GUE cert seems A LOT tougher. The other two don't even say they have an age requirement. I think I'd rather go with the tougher one. GUE seems like they are really diligant about their students being well trained and safe cavern divers.

Thank you again,
Amber

:doctor:
Amber You are only as good as your Instructor trains you and your attitude.Try this e-mail address larry@tecdivers.com He is one of the worlds best cavers and can instruct you under many of the above named training agencies. You may also find him listed under Eagles Nest Technical Divers

GDI,

I would think that any teacher wants their students to continue to learn and hopefully get better. At some point the circle is complete...(starwars).

I can tell you that I am definetely a better diver now then when my instructor trained me.

I also use gear and techniques that make my diving smoother and easier then what my instructor trained me.

Where did I learn this from?

Diving with experienced buddies and having an open mind.

I expect each one of the divers that I train to be better and seek out safer and better techniques. Everything changes. : )

Wouldn't you agree?

Amber once bubbled...
What are the requirements to become a certified cave diver? I'm sure there is an age limit...do I have to have a certain number of logged dives? Any suggestions on when I should take the class?

Thanks,
Amber

take your time, build your skills underwater. the caves will always be there.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom