BP/Wing equipment list: about to purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveO

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m having some difficulty gathering information regarding backplate and wings. I’m buying equipment for the first time, and the bp/w appeals to me for its modularity and adaptability. There’s an LDS near me that carries Halcyon, but it’s apparently a new line for this shop: they don’t have brochures, “lost” their price sheet so they couldn’t give me even a ballpark price, and suggested I contact the local tech diver group for specific information about the equipment. (I don’t mean to be overly critical of this shop- I think it’s just very new to them.)

Since I’ve only heard about the benefits of bp/w on this board, and never actually dived this type of gear, I feel like I’m about to buy a pig in a poke. But it’s a gamble I’m willing to take- hopefully with a little help from some more experienced folks on this board.

Do you mind reviewing this list for reasonableness and completeness, and keep a critical eye out for pitfalls that may cause problems down the road (for instance, finding myself over / under weighted)?

At first I plan to dive warm salt water to rack up more dives and gain experience, and then move along to nitrox and wreck penetration. I’m AOW now and plan on a rescue diver course next month. So far I’ve been using a 3/2 wetsuit (I get chilled easily, so I may also dive with a .5 skin- don’t know how much that will affect buoyancy).

My “to buy” list so far includes:
a FredT backplate in 316 stainless, 3/16” thickness, with webbing
a “new” Halcyon 27# wing - no STA required

Are tank bands (is that the right term?) required in this configuration, or are they a part of the wing?
At what point do items such as bungees and mtn bike inner tubes come into play (read about them on this board, can’t quite wrap my brain around it)?

Your thoughts, comments, “been there, done that”s, warnings, caveats, ideas, and suggestions are (desperately) welcome!

Thanks,
DaveO

The inner tube and bungee come into play right away. You use the bungee to make a loop the same place your left shoulder d ring goes. Use this loop, to hold down your inflator hose, by running the hose through it. The inner tube will be placed around the webbing on the harness to hold down flashlights. Cut the inner tube into 3/8" pieces, and thread them onto the webbing before you put the webbing through the bottom slots on the BP. I would add about three, in case one breaks during a dive, or on a boat. That way you will not have to rethread your harness. You clip the light off to the shoulder dring, and use the inner tube to hold it in place at the bottom. Some people use bungee for this instead of the inner tube.

For a picture of a complete harness, and to see what I am talking about, visit the following links.

www.wkpp.org

Click on the equipment list, and then on the pictures links.

As far as your gear selection goes, the Fred T harness should come with all of the drings and keepers you need. So you will be ok.

The wings should come with the cam straps required.

Sounds like you're referring to Sea Ventures as the LDS.

If you have any questions, myself and O-ring are in the DC area (Herndon, and Ballston respectively). I'm sure one of us could meet you one night with our BP/W to help answer questions.

To help with those you posted:
- If you go with the Pioneer wings without a STA, you'll need tank bands.
- The inner tube rings should be placed on the harness... simply becuase it could be a b*tch to get on later. As stated above, you use them for backup lights and as webbing keeper in the case of the waist.

Drop us a PM, we're always available to lend a helping hand.
Ken

Don't these come with the wing???

At any rate... using the wing with the built in STA you want to be able to tighten things down securely... and the plastic buckles on the old style cam bands are not up to it... they break... so get the new style with SS cams from Halcyon.

May have been ripped off by the LDS :wink:

I also have the SS cam bands which Halcyon makes... and some extra plastic cam bands which you're welcome to (Not you UP).

Ken

Cam bands don't come with the wing, despite the fact that they are featured in most photos of the Halcyon rig.

I wish it wasn't so :) cam bands are expensive,

jeff

... for your help and guidance. I really enjoy this board's format: pass along some knowledge, pass along some humor. Thanks!

DivernVa, thanks very much for the offer to meet- I'm in Oakton, so we're practically neighbors. I'd really appreciate the chance to meet up and see how you've configured the gear. Only question is: how do you like your steak cooked, and what's your favorite beer?

I am in Arlington, VA and dive with Ken (Divernva) from time to time.

Feel free to fire any questions at us you want....we could also meet up somewhere or at a quarry and mess with your gear.

I think Ken is right...if you said local and Halcyon in the same sentence it has to be Sea Ventures. The local tech group that they (who did you talk to? Jason?) referred to is Nova Tech. If you are interested in hooking up with them, I can give you all the info on meeting times/places, etc. and meet you there so you will know someone (sorta). You are right about Halcyon being new to them..they just started carrying it recently and they aren't too up on it yet.

Hey, O-Ring,
I appreciate the offer to meet up! The LDS directed me to Todd at Nova Tech, and I plan to join their Yahoo group so I could find out about the next meeting. BTW The web site indicates that Nova Tech is looking for a new place to meet- maybe at a county library? They have meeting rooms, presumbably for public use.

I'll send a PM- thanks for your post-

Dave O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom