Gotta give it up for Diving Concepts Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I first saw these several years ago when I did my first PNW dive on Uncle Pug (the boat.) Almost all of the locals that weren't mental (wet suits, 3mm gloves, etc.) were diving these way cool snap-on gloves. Hmmm... look interesting.

I was diving dry at that time, but diving wet gloves. I remember in the 47 degree water my hands getting quite blocky.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I now understand the system. Wrist seal redundancy, dressing with bare hands, quick replacement with inexpensive Atlas gloves, etc. I'm thinking "the DC gloves look very nice, but not for me. I have Zip Seals, I can just use Zip gloves..." I'm a SoCal and lobstering with rings on my drysuit wrists is just not going to happen. So I'm using the zip gloves and everything is good. Love 'em. Hate the fact that I have to don the rig wearing the gloves, but whatever. I just zip on seals to go lobstering, its all good.

Fast forward another year. I find a wetsuit on eBay that works - so I'm lobstering wet (haven't been wet diving since OW... its interesting.) So now I'm re-considering the DC gloves... as I dive with my Zip gloves as much as I can (even in the summer here) as when I'm photographing, I get leaks on the left from carrying the camera...

I see a pair completely mis-listed on eBay - so I pick them up for about half-price. Brand new. This last weekend I read up on the Cali68 Zip Seal DC Glove marriage, and give it a try. (huge props to Mark Vlahos for helping decode the Cali-zip and helping me assemble these...)

OMG these things rule. The rings aren't nearly as large as I remember them being, and no where near as large as the SiTec rings. I love the fact that I can zip on or zip them off, depending if I need to dive wet (if I'm deep lobstering, or something... guess.) Although I can't imagine diving wet gloves ever again - even in SoCal summer - where the water gets into the high 50's / low 60's. I just love diving the dry gloves - especially because the leaks from my camera / Goodman handle don't soak me to the elbow on a 4 dive day.

These things rule. Easy on, easy off, solid, warm, dry. I can't say enough good things about them. If you dive dry, you should consider these things. I can't imagine diving dry with wet hands again.

(Still looking for the Uncle Pug "Dry Gloves = Warm Feet" theory to pan out...)

---
Ken

If you are using the blue PVC smurf gloves. Put a can of PVC glue in your save a dive kit. You can fix holes easily and quickly.

JeffG:
If you are using the blue PVC smurf gloves. Put a can of PVC glue in your save a dive kit. You can fix holes easily and quickly.

Although these EBay specials were new, there were some holes in one of them. I have aquasealed them and they're working great.

With Cotol, I need about 90 minutes or so. Does PVC glue dry faster? I'm using the Atlas gloves. Do you have a link to the glue?

Thanks

Ken

Mo2vation:
Although these EBay specials were new, there were some holes in one of them. I have aquasealed them and they're working great.

With Cotol, I need about 90 minutes or so. Does PVC glue dry faster? I'm using the Atlas gloves. Do you have a link to the glue?

Thanks

Ken
PVC glue works better (because the gloves are made of PVC) The Aquaseal will peel off at some point. PVC glue re-bonds the PVC back together. It does work fast, but I never timed it.

You can get the glue in any hardware store.

The only real issue I have is that my glue is grey. So I have blue gloves with grey splotches :wink:

Oatey's Rain-R-Shine is blue... and it dries Fast!
rain_r_shn_med_bl.jpg

I haven't used it on gloves but it would work just fine. I've used it on wet and dirty PVC drain pipe and it holds great. But of course if you want a water proof seal (not necessary for drain pipe) you want to clean your glove off and dry it as best you can.

So is all this PC glue stuff similar to the pipe fitting glue I use for my sprinkler pipes? It doesn't seem thick enough to use like AquaSeal - to cover a hole.

I'll look into it.

Thanks

Ken

Rain-R-Shine is similar to the PVC glue you probably used for your sprinkler pipes but it doesn't need the purple solvent and is thicker.

I haven't needed to use it since I don't go around glomming onto things and getting holes in my gloves. :D

Uncle Pug:
I haven't needed to use it since I don't go around glomming onto things and getting holes in my gloves. :D

Says mr. man-eating barnicle guy.... :wink:

oy.

---
Ken

So, do they also make Sink-the-Stink for dry glove liners?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom