Hello From Eugene Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strapman

Registered
Reaction score
I am so new I'm not even new yet to scuba. I have been planning to get scuba certified for several years now, and I have just been putting it off. I think it is about time to get started. I would appreciate any imput for purchasing equipment that is safe yet inexpensive. What should I get first, second, etc. What should I not try to save money on for safety or comfort, what can wait a while. What should I just plan on renting vs what I should take with me when I travel. Etc.
I will probably start diving off the oregon coast, because that is where the scuba schools around here usually take there students. So I guess that cold water diving :flush: is what I should get prepared for.
Any imput would be apreciated.

Welcome to the Board Strapman. Since you haven't even gotten wet yet, don't rush into purchasing equipment. Take the classes, try out as many different BC's and regs as you can, and ask alot of questions. When it comes time to purchase, your first investment will probably include mask, fins and snorkle (BTW, don't spend alot for the snorkle...they are used much after your intial OW class).

Hope this helps and get moving on those classes!

Dave (aka "Squirt")

The ocean around here is way warmer than the lakes and rivers this time of year.

Everything else will be easy, Oregon is a great place to learn.

Welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Click [thread=91105]here[/thread] for ScubaBoard 101: [thread=91105]A beginner's guide to the ScubaBoard.Com forums[/thread].

Don’t forget to fill out your Public Profile (and Dive Info) on one of your next surface intervals so we can get to know you a little bit better. Besides, it will make it easier for us to answer your questions. Please, do add a Profile Pic. If you’re not in a particularly creative mood, you can have a look at my Public Profile for inspiration.

Any questions? Just click this link: Send me a PM!

Laurens

This message brought to you by Sockpuppet Solutions Inc.

Any advice on what kind of wetsuit I should get? I was looking at scubatoys.com and i'm not sure the thickness of the material that thay show. should I go for a farmer john and jacket or move to a drysuit

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:bandit_2: don

smiley-linie-013.gif

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Strapman:
Any advice on what kind of wetsuit I should get? I was looking at scubatoys.com and i'm not sure the thickness of the material that thay show. should I go for a farmer john and jacket or move to a drysuit

Hi there!

I'm currently living in Fairbanks, Alaska, but my wife and I are moving back home to the Eugene area in early May.

I'm sure you've heard of Eugene Skin Divers. Great shop, great training, and likely who you'll want to get started with.

As far as exposure protection, I've dove the Oregon Coast in a 7mm two piece, but a drysuit is much, much more comfortable.

If you can afford it, go dry. Larry at Scubatoys, or the Divetank crew can get you set up in a Bare drysuit (or wetsuit) for a very good price.

-Brandon.

Welcome to the boards Strapman. I look forward to chattin with ya

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom