• bad

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • decent

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • no opinion/neutral

Votes: 17 18.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just wondering what everyone thought of the Sport Chalet's scuba department?

I generally only stop in there to fill up tanks now and again. I have purchased some small items there, such as weight, tank caps, and a hood, things of that nature. They have a decent scuba dept., at least the one I visit does.

Most of the Sports Chalets I've been too have no idea about the diving I do (DIR/Tech)... that's in Northern California though... I know there are several DIR types in So Cal who teach... but I do not think they work the reatail side though

I usually support my (not so local) LDS with purchases... they usually have better prices than Sports Chalet

Can't speak for the actual stores but, I must say, the online site's selection is rather sad.

JB

In my opinion Sports Chalet is like the Walmart of dive stores. I would rather talk to somebody that has used the gear I am about to put out big money for and not a teenager that is not yet out of highschool. I do buy parts for my boat there but only look at their dive gear.

Jorbar1551:
I was just wondering what everyone thought of the Sport Chalet's scuba department?

You gotta love SC.

* Open longer hours than any pretentious dive shop (until 9 every night)

* Open every Sunday (NONE of the shops in my area are open Sundays)

* Fat, cheap, fast fills

And that's the deal. Who buys gear from a dive shop anymore? Please. That's why there's an eBay.

They are probably the only publically owned dive shop in the country. They are the largest PADI certifying agency on the planet (I believe...) But who cares?

Their deal is this: If I get a call Friday night at 8:00 PM to go diving Saturday morning - I know I can go get a fill. THAT alone makes them rule the pool. As to their gear? Who cares. I never get gear from a shop.

As to their training? Who cares. I'm AOW and that's all I need. Like I'm going back to get what, the fish ID specialty? c'mon.

As to the knowledge of thier associates? Who cares. Fill my tank, monkey.

They have DUI rentals - so if my suit is off for repair, $15 or $20 and I'm dry diving again.

Sport Chalet rules.

If you think they suck, you're simply expecting too much from them.

---
Ken

I'm pretty new, but my local SC's scuba dept. has very knowledgable staff, many if not all are DMs or OWSIs. Do I buy everything there? No, but it's the only show in town that is open late hours.

Gee, sounds like I should look around for a store location. I don't need an expert and I deal well with monkeys.

JB

Mo2vation:
As to the knowledge of thier associates? Who cares. Fill my tank, monkey.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed so hard when i saw that

Back
Top Bottom