Freed a Turtle Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtleguy9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Aloha All
I don't know if you have noticed, but Turtles like to rub up against objects. They will rub against rocks, wrecks, underwater moorings, etc. At Turtle Canyon, off Waikiki, we have submerged moorings, with a mooring ball, and enough excess line to reach the surface, and tie off the boat. Usually the lines are all underwater, to reduce the chance of entangleing boats, however, some of the snorkel, swim, boat ride boats, have been attaching bottles to the end of the lines, to keep them afloat, and not have to enter the water to moor the boat. You just grab the bottle out of the water with the boat hook, and presto, you have the mooring line. They have been using twine, shock cord, light rope, etc, to attach the bottles. The mooring line is large, 1 inch or better, and no real tangle hazard. However, the light strong lines, attaching the floating bottles, is a hazard to the Turtles.
Yesterday, we could not find the nice floating bottle, so I went in to find the mooring.
What I found was a large female turtle with her right front fin totally trapped, and twisted tight, in the bottle line. She was pretty agitated, and swimming in circles, trying to get free, and just getting tied tighter, and tighter.
She was not too thrilled, when I got my knife between her fin and the line to cut it. But she held still long enough for me to get the job done. When freed, she raced for the surface and motored off.
Perhaps we need to rethink the use of the surface floats tied with strong light lines.
Yes, this is the first time in 10 years, I have seen this problem. But now I see that this might be a continuing problem.
What do you think?
Aloha
Turtleguy9

First off...my Hero
14.gif

What a horrible death that would be. Seeing the surface, your air running low and not being able to reach it no matter how hard you try. Yes I think something should be done. In the last couple of months I have heard of a few turtles that were all tied up. Last week we did a circle Island tour and at Waimanalo beach we found at least 2 HUGE nets floating in the water, also a potential threat. I know we can do nothing about the nets, but we can start with the little things.

How wonderful it is that you got there in time to help free the turtle. Why doesn't Hawaii use the huge orange mooring balls, with the thicker rope, for their dive sites? It would be easier for dive, snorkle and touristy type boats to hook up to. Congrats for saving a life!!!

Turtleguy, It is wonderful you didn't have to untie a dead turtle. That poor thing could've drowned if she couldn't reach the surface. My hat's off to you!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom