changing out computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utdivermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hope this is in the right place. I have a regulator set and air computer, but was hoping to upgrade in the not too distant future with a nitrox computer. Can I change out the computers by myself? I do not know exactly how it works, but it does not look like too complicated a switch. Has anyone done this before? Also, does it affect your inspections on your regs? I was just debating whether I need to take it to a dive shop and pay lots of cash to get a new computer, or if I could order online, from somewhere like scubatoys, and add it myself. Thanks!

I assume you've got a computer in a console. Which kind is each?

It's certainly easy enough to switch out a computer, with a little bit of care. What kind will pop right back in depends at least some on what kind you have now. I've done several computer swaps into consoles, and they aren't all quite absolutely interchangeable -- even the "hockey-puck" type.

It wouldn't effect your reg service at all; the computer doesn't interface with the reg at all, and a reg service doesn't have anything to do with the computer. If your dive shop changes the computer's battery and o-ring at the same time (which you should also be able to do yourself, depending on the type of computer), that's a separate procedure.

--Marek

Where should it be changed out? I havent gotten the Nitrox computer yet, and am not quite sure which kind I will get. Can I just get the old computer completely off the hose, and put the new one on that end, or would I change it out at the first stage. They wont be interchangeable (hockey puck style)

Again, what kind (brand and model) of computer and console boot do you have now?

Being an air computer, it's almost certainly not air-integrated... which means it just sits in your console boot, but isn't actually connected to anything. So it's not a matter of getting it "off the hose;" just getting it out of the boot and getting the new one in.

OK... If your current computer is an Oceanic Veo 100 or an Aeris Atmos 1 (actually a pretty good bet), I've got specific experience with those. Um, not changing them to nitrox computers... but I've popped them back and forth between consoles a lot.

--Marek

Also, utdivermatt assuming your computer really is air only (if bought in the last 5 years, its less likely) you can always choose to dive Nitrox on air conservancy for the safety factor.

utdivermatt:
Where should it be changed out? I havent gotten the Nitrox computer yet, and am not quite sure which kind I will get. Can I just get the old computer completely off the hose, and put the new one on that end, or would I change it out at the first stage. They wont be interchangeable (hockey puck style)

Actually, it probably will be interchangeable. We stock all different kinds, and we probably have something that will pop back into the same hole. And if not, that is really not a problem either.

The easist thing to do is to unscrew the console (if you want) and ship it to us. (you can just send the whole reg if you don't want to remove the console). Then, when we get it, we can remove the old, and see if we have a nitrox computer to drop in there. If not, we could simply sell you another boot (about 25 bucks) and then remove the pressure gauge and compass (if you have one on there) and transfer that to the new boot that will fit a computer.

If that doesn't make sense... just shout at us on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom